Finding absolute extrema with only 1 critical point

In summary, the conversation is about finding the critical point and determining whether it is a maximum or minimum for the function f(x,y,z) = x + 2y + z, with the constraint x^2 + 4y^2 - z = 0. The critical point is (-1/2, -1/4, 1/2) with a value of -1/2, and the person is unsure of what technique to use to determine if it is a maximum or minimum, as the second partial derivatives will all equal 0.
Reefy

Homework Statement

Edit: Not absolute, just extrema

I've already found the critical point to be (-1/2, -1/4, 1/2) with a value of -1/2. My only problem is finding whether this is a max or min. What technique do I use to find out? I don't believe I can use the 2nd derivative test because all the 2nd partial derivatives will equal 0.f(x,y,z) = x + 2y + z

constraint => x^2 + 4y^2- z = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Critical point (-1/2, -1/4, 1/2). Value = -1/2

How do I determine whether that is a max or min?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you did everything right the best first method is just to think about it. x=0, y=0, z=0 also satisfies your contraint. So?

1. What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on a graph where the derivative of a function is equal to zero or does not exist. This means that the slope of the function at that point is either flat or undefined.

2. Why is it important to find absolute extrema?

Finding absolute extrema allows us to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function. This information is useful in many real-world applications, such as optimization problems in engineering and economics.

3. Can a function have more than one critical point?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. These points can be local maxima, local minima, or points of inflection.

4. How do you find absolute extrema with only one critical point?

If a function has only one critical point, you can use the First Derivative Test to determine whether it is a local maximum or minimum. Then, you can use the Second Derivative Test to confirm whether it is an absolute maximum or minimum.

5. Are there any other methods for finding absolute extrema?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Closed Interval Method and the Extreme Value Theorem. However, these methods may require more than just one critical point to find the absolute extrema.