Locate the poles of the response function for an LRC circuit

In summary, the poles of the response function \alpha(\omega) in the complex plane for an LRC circuit are at -a and +a.
Amcote

Homework Statement

Locate the poles of the response function [itex]\alpha(\omega)[/itex] in the complex plane for an LRC circuit.

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha(\omega)=\frac{-i\omega}{L}\frac{1}{\omega_0^2-\omega^2-i\omega\gamma} [/tex]
[tex]\omega_0^2=\frac{1}{CL} [/tex]
[tex]\gamma=\frac{R}{L}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So we've been going over how to locate poles and residues with normal functions and this is the first time doing something that is applicable to physics. Normally I'm used to having a function of x and changing this into a function of z and finding the poles that way. I'm not really sure how to start this question whether I should be changing ω to z or whether this is already a complex function. I've tried using the quadratic formula on the denominator in which I get

[tex]\frac{-\gamma \pm \sqrt{\gamma^2-4\omega_0^2}}{-2i} [/tex]

but I do not think this is correct.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks Ok to me. Why don't you think your answer is correct?

##\omega## in the physical world will be a real number. But the formula you've given for ##\alpha(\omega)## doesn't require ##\omega## to be real.

As to what, if any, physical significance the two poles of the ##\alpha## function have - you'd need to ask an electrical engineer.

The reason I think it is wrong is because in the next part of the question it says:

ii) Show that for the contour C illustrated below, the integral of [itex]\alpha(\omega)[/itex]/[itex]\omega[/itex] vanishes along the semicircular part of the contour as R goes to infinite.

I've attached what the contour looks like but in case it didn't work, it's a semicircle in the upper half of the plane and it shows a pole (marked as [itex]\omega[/itex]) along the real positive axis. And the poles I found, if i did them correctly, should be on the imaginary axis.
Snapshot.jpg

Are the poles relevant to that next part of the question?

I would have thought the asymptotic shrinking of the integral would be driven by the growth of R, rather than anything to do with the poles. Indeed, if the contour ran into a pole, that would blow up the integral, rather than shrink it.

What is a parametrisation of the points on the contour?

I would think at this stage you'd have had the Laplace transform.
So for part (a), substitute s = jω (sorry, we EE's use j instead of i), then manipulate α(s) to look like (something)/(s + a). Then your pole is at s = -a.
As for part (b) the contour usually has σ for the x-axis and jω for the y-axis where s = σ + jω. I'm not quite sure what your plot is supposed to represent.

1. What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C). It is commonly used in electrical engineering and physics experiments.

2. What is a response function?

A response function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the case of an LRC circuit, it describes how the circuit responds to changes in the input voltage.

3. What are the poles of the response function?

The poles of the response function for an LRC circuit are the values of frequency at which the response function has a singularity or a discontinuity. These values are important in analyzing the behavior of the circuit.

4. How do you locate the poles of the response function for an LRC circuit?

The poles can be located by solving the equation for the response function, which is a complex function. The poles will be the values of frequency at which the imaginary part of the response function becomes infinite, or the denominator of the function becomes zero.

5. Why is it important to locate the poles of the response function for an LRC circuit?

Locating the poles allows us to understand the behavior of an LRC circuit and predict how it will respond to different input frequencies. It also helps in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications.