Log5(x) = 16logx(5) solve for x

• Thread starter TyErd
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for x in the equation log5(x) = 16logx(5), you can convert one of the logs to the same base as the other by using the formula logb(x) = log(x) / log(b). After converting, you can simplify the equation to log5x = [log(x)516]/log5x and then multiply both sides by log5x to find the value of x.
TyErd
log5(x) = 16logx(5)
solve for x.

With this one, I have no idea where to start. All I have even thought about doing is bringing up the 16 to make it 5^16 but that doesn't seem to help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Convert one of your logs so that both logs are in the same base. Do you have a formula for converting from one log base to another?

No i don't have a formula to do that

the formula is:

log5(x) = log (x) / log (5)

Let y = logbx
Then x = by
So log x = log(by) = y log b
And y = (log x)/(log b)

Hence logbx = (log x)/(log b)

In the third step above, you can use any log base you want. I used the common log (log10).

ok thnx for the formulas, ok so i have the log base for one side which is (log10(x)) / (log10(5)) what do i do now?

Replace log5(x) in your original equation.

When you do that, what does your equation become?

(log10(x)) / (log10(5)) = logx(5^16)

TyErd said:
ok thnx for the formulas, ok so i have the log base for one side which is (log10(x)) / (log10(5)) what do i do now?
Instead of changing log5 to log, why don't you change logx to log5? The goal is to be using the same log base on both sides of the equation.

so are you saying change it so it is: log5(5^16) / log5(x) = log5(x) ?

Yes. Now put it in the context of the original equation.

log5x = logx516
==> log5x = [log5516]/log5x

The numerator on the right can be simplified to just plain 16, and you can multiply both sides by log5x.

omg, thankyou so much! i get it finally. I wish i could think like you

Practice...

FAQ: Log5(x) = 16logx(5) solve for x

1. What is the meaning of "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)"?

The equation "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)" is a logarithmic equation that represents the relationship between the bases 5 and x. The logarithmic function is used to solve for the unknown variable x.

2. How do you solve for x in "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)"?

To solve for x, you must use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. First, you can rewrite "16logx(5)" as "logx(5)^16" by using the power rule of logarithms. Then, you can rearrange the equation to get "log5(x) = logx(5)^16". Since the logarithmic functions have the same base, you can set the arguments equal to each other, giving you x = 5^16.

3. Can the equation "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)" have more than one solution for x?

Yes, the equation can have more than one solution for x. This is because logarithmic functions are not one-to-one, meaning that multiple inputs can result in the same output. So, while x = 5^16 is the most simplified solution, there may be other values of x that also satisfy the equation.

4. What is the domain and range of "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)"?

The domain of the equation is all positive real numbers, as logarithmic functions cannot take the value of 0 or any negative numbers. The range of the equation is all real numbers, as the output of a logarithmic function can be any real number depending on the input.

5. How is the equation "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)" used in real-world applications?

Logarithmic equations, including "Log5(x) = 16logx(5)", are commonly used in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model exponential growth or decay, as well as calculate various quantities such as pH, sound intensity, or earthquake magnitude. In finance, logarithmic equations are used to calculate compound interest and determine the value of investments over time.

Back