Logarithm and statistical mechanics

guma1204
Hello, I'll try to get right to the point.

Why and how does logarithmic dependence appear in statistical mechanics? I understand that somehow it is linked with probabilities, but I can not quite understand.

Answers and Replies

.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hello, I'll try to get right to the point.

Why and how does logarithmic dependence appear in statistical mechanics? I understand that somehow it is linked with probabilities, but I can not quite understand.
I am not sure exactly what you are referring to. But I think this is an example of what you are asking about:

The function for the probability function of a normal distribution is shown here:

ffe7c5cbdecda556bf2170e31f1f9a127b74e239

It decreases exponentially as |(x-u)/sigma| increases.
It's easy to see why. Every increase in a standard deviation from mean compounds the unlikelihood - an exponential process.

DrClaude
Mentor
What logarithm are you talking about?

In some cases, it is simply a question of convenience. Instead of working with the multiplicity ##\Omega##, we most often use entropy instead, ##S = k \ln \Omega##.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
If ##p_i## are probabilities of independent events, then the total probability is
$$p=\prod_i p_i$$
However, products are not easy to compute, especially if ##i## is a continuous label. Therefore we transform the product into a sum via
$$\ln p=\sum_i \ln p_i$$
That's the origin of most logarithms in statistical physics.

Last edited:
morrobay
Gold Member
Take statistical mechanics entropy : S = k ln w. Where w is probability that system is in present state relative to all other possible states
The probability of finding N particles in volume V is w = (cV)N So S = kN(ln c + ln V)

Suggested for: Logarithm and statistical mechanics

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views