Logarithms: ALG2 teacher say what?

The base of the logarithm is "a" and x is the result. So, if you have log10(10), this is asking you what power of 10 gives you 10. The answer is 1, because 10^1 = 10. In summary, logarithms are the inverse of exponents and are used to find the power that a base number must be raised to in order to get a given number. In the example given, log(10) is equal to 1 since 10^1 = 10.
stephen92
I have these questions that are due tomorrow I am completely clueless on what my teacher is asking.

1. What is log(x), Explain.

I think that is like a parent function not sure

2.What is 10^log(10)

I know that it graphs as a straight line but that's it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone happens to recognize these please answer ASAP.

Thanx,

Chris

Note: if the date May, 14 2008 has passed don't bother answering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Study your textbook on the topics of exponential functions and logarithmic functions. They are inverses. Note carefully that 10^x is an exponential function. Its inverse is log(x), where the base is 10. One function will undo its inverse. This means that 10^(log(x))=x and that log(10^x)=x as long as the logarithm in these cases is 10.

stephen92 said:
I have these questions that are due tomorrow I am completely clueless on what my teacher is asking.

1. What is log(x), Explain.

I think that is like a parent function not sure

2.What is 10^log(10)

I know that it graphs as a straight line but that's it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone happens to recognize these please answer ASAP.

Thanx,

ChrisNote: if the date May, 14 2008 has passed don't bother answering.

1. log(x) is equal to the number that you must raise 10 to in order to get x. 10^(log(x)) = x. Logarithms are exponents.

2. log(10) = 1, since 10^1 = 10. So 10^(log(10)) = 10^1, or 10.

Last edited:
Logarithms are not exponents! They are the inverse of exponents (huge difference!).

Basically, if [tex]y = \log_{a}(x)[/tex], then [tex]x = a^y[/tex]

Just like, if [tex]y = x^2[/tex], then [tex]x = \pm \sqrt{y}[/tex]

Nick89, logarithms are exponents.

They are the inverse of exponential functions and there is a huge difference between "exponential functions" and exponents.

As you say, if y= loga(x), then x= ay. y, the logarithm is an exponent!

Related to Logarithms: ALG2 teacher say what?

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is a mathematical operation that tells us how many times a certain number (called the base) must be multiplied by itself to get another number (called the argument).

2. Why are logarithms useful?

Logarithms are useful because they allow us to solve exponential equations and perform calculations involving very large or very small numbers. They also have applications in fields such as finance, biology, and physics.

3. How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, we can use the properties of logarithms and algebraic techniques to rewrite it in a simpler form. Then, we can solve for the variable by using the inverse operation of logarithms, which is exponentiation.

4. What are some common properties of logarithms?

Some common properties of logarithms include:

• The logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors.
  • The logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.
  • The logarithm of an exponent is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.

5. How do logarithms relate to exponential growth and decay?

Logarithms are used to model exponential growth and decay because they can transform an exponential function into a linear function. By taking the logarithm of both sides of an exponential equation, we can create a linear equation that is easier to analyze and solve.