Long insulated copper rod with 2 temperatures find T(x,t)

In summary, the problem involves a long copper rod with insulated lateral surface that has its left end maintained at 0C and its right end maintained at 100C. The goal is to determine the temperature T as a function of time and coordinate, given the initial condition T(x,0)={ 100x, 0<x<1 and 100, 1<x<2. The problem can be solved using separation-of-variables method, assuming temperature-independent conductivity, density and specific heat. However, the solution provided in the attempt at a solution is incorrect and incomplete, as it does not take into account the boundary conditions and the use of Fourier Series. More clarification is needed on the steps to solve the problem.
samee

Homework Statement

A long copper rod with insulated lateral surface has its left end maintained at a temperature of 0C and its right end, at x=2m , maintained at 100C . Determine the temperature T as a function of time and coordinate if the initial condition is given by

T(x,0)={ 100x, 0<x<1
________100, 1<x<2

Homework Equations

So I'm assuming this question is also actually just a diffusion equation or a wave equation, since that's what the rest of our homework was on. Alpha2uxx=ut
and
u(x,t)=X(x)T(t)=(C1coskx+C2sinkx)e-K2alpha2t+C3+C4x

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked another question like this one... So here I have a rod with a temperature difference. These differences are being maintained, so I guess what I'm doing i assuming that it's in equilibrium and the temperature isn't shifting at all. I'm asked for the temperature as a function of time and coordinate, but that doesn't make sense if time isn't a factor. In the initial condition it certainly is not a factor. So I guess I need to set boundary conditions as given?

I know u(x,0)={X(x)100x 0<x<1
_____________X(x)100 1<x<2

and 0<x<2 for the whole problem.

Now, I really need to set my boundary conditions, right? I guess I can say that since the rod is finite, and 0<x<2, anything less than zero or greater than 2 is zero. Therefore;

u(0,t)=0 and u(2,t)=0.

If u(0,t)=(C1)e-K2alpha2t+C3=0
This would mean that C1=0 and C3=0, so

u(x,t)=(C2sinkx)e-K2alpha2t+C4x=X(x)T(t)If u(2,t)=(C2sink2)e-K2alpha2t+C42=0
This would mean that C4=0 as well. Also,
(C2sink2)e-K2alpha2t=0
If C2 IS NOT 0, then sin2k=0, and 2k=npi. Therefore k=npi/2 and...

u(x,t)=C2sin(xnpi/2)e-(npialpha/2)2t

SOOOO! IF I did my boundary conditions right, I can then plug it back into the original equation and get;

u(x,t)={ X(x)=(1/100x)C2sin(xnpi/2)e-(npialpha/2)2t for 0<x<1
________X(x)=(1/100)C2sin(xnpi/2)e-(npialpha/2)2t for 1<x<2NOW what do I do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
?

Your rod is not in thermal equilibrium unti t = ∞. It starts out per your initial condition
T(x,0) and obviously ends up with T varying linearly with x, assuming temperature-independent conductivity, density and specific heat.

I haven't done the problem but I would assume separation-of-variables solution of the heat equation as you state. And hope like hell!

You likely need more help than I can give you here and I'm not sure I should bother with this since you abandoned the last thread I tried to help you. But I will see how it goes...

samee said:

Homework Statement

A long copper rod with insulated lateral surface has its left end maintained at a temperature of 0C and its right end, at x=2m , maintained at 100C . Determine the temperature T as a function of time and coordinate if the initial condition is given by

T(x,0)={ 100x, 0<x<1
________100, 1<x<2

Homework Equations

So I'm assuming this question is also actually just a diffusion equation or a wave equation,

So you are going to just guess which it is?

since that's what the rest of our homework was on. Alpha2uxx=ut
and
u(x,t)=X(x)T(t)=(C1coskx+C2sinkx)e-K2alpha2t+C3+C4x

Where did that "solution" come from? It doesn't look correct. Do you know what is missing? Please show your steps to get that or, if you copied it from somewhere, fix it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked another question like this one... So here I have a rod with a temperature difference. These differences are being maintained, so I guess what I'm doing i assuming that it's in equilibrium and the temperature isn't shifting at all. I'm asked for the temperature as a function of time and coordinate, but that doesn't make sense if time isn't a factor.
But it isn't in equilibrium. The problem clearly states to determine u(x,t) as a function of time ##t## and position ##x##.
In the initial condition it certainly is not a factor. So I guess I need to set boundary conditions as given?

I know u(x,0)={[STRIKE]X(x)[/STRIKE]100x 0<x<1
_____________[STRIKE]X(x)[/STRIKE]100 1<x<2

and 0<x<2 for the whole problem.
That is the initial condition. I have crossed out what shouldn't be there.

Now, I really need to set my boundary conditions, right? I guess I can say that since the rod is finite, and 0<x<2, anything less than zero or greater than 2 is zero.
Any value of ##x## outside of [0,2] is irrelevant to this problem. There is no rod there.

Therefore;

u(0,t)=0 and u(2,t)=0.

If u(0,t)=(C1)e-K2alpha2t+C3=0
This would mean that C1=0 and C3=0, so

Why? When I put ##t=0\ ##in there I get ##C_1+C_3 = 0## which just means ##C_1=-C_3##.

u(x,t)=(C2sinkx)e-K2alpha2t+C4x=X(x)T(t)

If u(2,t)=(C2sink2)e-K2alpha2t+C42=0
This would mean that C4=0 as well. Also,
(C2sink2)e-K2alpha2t=0
If C2 IS NOT 0, then sin2k=0, and 2k=npi. Therefore k=npi/2 and...

u(x,t)=C2sin(xnpi/2)e-(npialpha/2)2t

SOOOO! IF I did my boundary conditions right, I can then plug it back into the original equation and get;

u(x,t)={ X(x)=(1/100x)C2sin(xnpi/2)e-(npialpha/2)2t for 0<x<1
________X(x)=(1/100)C2sin(xnpi/2)e-(npialpha/2)2t for 1<x<2

NOW what do I do next?

Have you studied Fourier Series? Do you know what is missing if you are going to use Fourier Series? There may be other issues but that's enough for now. Please respond to each comment if you want to continue.

1. What is the purpose of using a long insulated copper rod?

The purpose of using a long insulated copper rod is to study heat transfer in a solid material. The rod is a good conductor of heat, and by measuring its temperature at different points and times, we can understand how heat is transferred within the rod.

2. How are the temperatures of the copper rod measured?

The temperatures of the copper rod are measured using thermocouples or thermometers. These devices can accurately measure the temperature at different points along the rod.

3. Why are there two different temperatures being considered?

The two different temperatures represent the two ends of the copper rod. One end is being kept at a constant temperature, while the other end is experiencing a change in temperature. This allows us to study the process of heat transfer from a hot end to a cold end.

4. What is the mathematical equation used to model this scenario?

The mathematical equation used to model this scenario is the heat equation, also known as the diffusion equation. It describes how heat diffuses or spreads through a material over time.

5. How does the length of the copper rod affect the temperature distribution?

The length of the copper rod affects the temperature distribution by increasing the time it takes for heat to travel from one end to the other. A longer rod will have a longer temperature gradient and take more time to reach a steady state temperature profile.