Longest piece of classical music changes chords today

  • Thread starter Thread starter BWV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Classical Music
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
21 replies · 3K views
BWV
Messages
1,690
Reaction score
2,023
the d# a# e chord held since 2013 will change today to g# e. The next chord change is February 5, 2022. The piece will end in 620 years on Sep 5, 2640

https://www.aslsp.org/de/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_as_Possible
 
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I have one question... why is this a thing?

partly because people will ask that question
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
Used to get something similar on the TV when the station went off air.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc
etotheipi said:
I have one question... why is this a thing?

That happens with excess funding...
 
I am curious as to how this can be meaningfully described as classical.
As to music, well, I guess you can bend the definition a bit to meet the composition.
 
Has anyone listened to it sped up?

It could be music for the Gods(if it is any good)

Don't they have lifespans that span the ages?
 
geordief said:
Has anyone listened to it sped up?

It could be music for the Gods(if it is any good)

Don't they have lifespans that span the ages?

here is a 30 minute realization, Sep 5 was the 15th chord change

 
Not bad.As the Dear Leader says "It is what it is"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd
Played backwards you can here "Paul is dead" but very slowly...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and Astronuc
Perhaps I am insensitive to the contemporary musical aesthetic, or maybe it just needs to be sped up a bit more (which I doubt), but this evokes nothing more musical (to my possibly dysfunctional ear) than the cacophony of a late fall, late Sunday afternoon traffic jam on the New York State Thruway somewhere just north of the Harriman (exit 16) toll barrier (southbound).

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/oursystem/harriman/index.html
https://turnpikeinfo.com/view-exit.php?state=new-york&road_name=new-york-state-thruway&key=16_toll
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/text/twytextcameras.cgi?region=MHI87
http://empirestateroads.com/week/week41.html--diogenesNY
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
i saw John Cage speak shortly before he died and he commented on how much he liked the traffic noise from his NYC apartment
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY
Manhattan traffic noise, very differentiated by neighborhood as it happens, has a very distinct, and in my opinion pleasant and alive quality (or rather qualities?) that I both enjoyed and miss greatly. The City never let's you forget that it is a very _living_ entity.

--diogenesNY
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BWV
diogenesNY said:
Manhattan traffic noise, very differentiated by neighborhood as it happens, has a very distinct, and in my opinion pleasant and alive quality (or rather qualities?) that I both enjoyed and miss greatly. The City never let's you forget that it is a very _living_ entity.

--diogenesNY
I spent all of 2 hours passing through Manhattan arriving in at JFK back in the 70s but enough for a chapter in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas had he needed the material.(bit of an exaggeration ,but maybe a page or two)

I saw its bad side. Leaving the States by way of Boston I stayed longer but it was similarly shocking.
 
diogenesNY said:
Perhaps I am insensitive to the contemporary musical aesthetic...

Seems unfair to judge the piece without listening to the whole thing. Come back in the 27th century and we'll talk.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, Astronuc and BillTre
hutchphd said:
Played backwards you can here "Paul is dead" but very slowly...
and John has a headache.
 
BWV said:
here is a 30 minute realization, Sep 5 was the 15th chord change
At 28:50 to 29:00, I hear the distinct influence of Doug Ingle's organ from Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY and BWV
BWV said:
the d# a# e chord held since 2013 will change today to g# e. The next chord change is February 5, 2022. The piece will end in 620 years on Sep 5, 2640

https://www.aslsp.org/de/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_as_Possible
Would I be right to think that the melody in that progression is carried on the two highest notes of the two chords?

Iow does the melody in this instance go from E to E?

Is that how the human ear works normally?

Do the lower notes in chords mainly provide ambient sound and harmony/discord?
 
geordief said:
Would I be right to think that the melody in that progression is carried on the two highest notes of the two chords?

Iow does the melody in this instance go from E to E?

Is that how the human ear works normally?

Do the lower notes in chords mainly provide ambient sound and harmony/discord?
The notes get held over, so the sound is always this clustery chord thing. The e's are an octave apart. There is not a traditional melody / harmony separation in this piece, its just ambient sound
 
BWV said:
There is not a traditional melody / harmony separation

"John Cage could sure write a snappy little tune" said no-one ever.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Astronuc
Vanadium 50 said:
"John Cage could sure write a snappy little tune" said no-one ever.
Well Brian Eno is a fan and I am a fan** of Brian Eno.

According to him
" John Cage made you realize that there wasn’t a thing called noise, it was just music you hadn’t appreciated. "

**not a knowledgeable fan but I loved Talking Heads
 
Here’s a fairly listenable example of Cage’s music:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara, geordief and BWV