Math Challenge - February 2020

In summary: I am holding out for the more general solution. In summary, this conversation covers a variety of solved problems and open questions in mathematics. The topics discussed include limits, polynomial interpolation, arc-length parameterization, Green's formula, the Wirtinger inequality, uniform convergence, matrix multiplication, permutations, integrals, continuous bilinear forms, the Hilbert space, chess puzzles, and geometric angle calculations.
Hsopitalist said:
Oh man, thank you!
You are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
For #5, Let ##R## be a commutative ring. To say a subset ##I \subseteq R## is an ideal of ##R## means that ##I## is nonempty, ##I## is closed under addition and that for any ##r \in R## and ##i \in I##, we have ##ri \in I##. And to say ##\operatorname{char} R \neq 2## means ##2## is not the smallest positive integer ##n## such that ##n\cdot 1 = 0##. But I'm not sure how to relate this to matrix multiplication. Would it be possible to get another hint, please?

fishturtle1 said:
For #5, Let ##R## be a commutative ring. To say a subset ##I \subseteq R## is an ideal of ##R## means that ##I## is nonempty, ##I## is closed under addition and that for any ##r \in R## and ##i \in I##, we have ##ri \in I##. And to say ##\operatorname{char} R \neq 2## means ##2## is not the smallest positive integer ##n## such that ##n\cdot 1 = 0##. But I'm not sure how to relate this to matrix multiplication. Would it be possible to get another hint, please?
The matrix has a certain additive decomposition (*) of which one part is in a certain ideal. The decomposition series of that ideal together with a certain property of (*) then solves the question.