Looking for a book on IDL that doesn't suck

• Thread starter Ai52487963
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of learning IDL programming and the lack of beginner-friendly books. The speaker suggests two books - 'Practical IDL Programming' by Liam Gumley and 'IDL Programming Techniques' by David Fanning - as helpful resources for learning IDL.
Ai52487963
All the books on IDL programming in my astronomy lab are ridiculous. Maybe its because IDL itself is incredibly loose or something? I'm just starting research using this language and it's not really frustrating, so much as I've no clue where to begin learning it. The books I have are not very newbie-friendly to the slightest degree, which poses a serious problem for someone as programmingly challenged as I.

Is there a kids popup book of IDL or a coloring book of IDL or something that may be more suitable for me than "we'll assume you know everything right off the bat, so..."?

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi,

The book I've used since I started programming in IDL is called 'Practical IDL Programming', by Liam Gumley. I found it really helpful in the beginning, and I still consult it often.

Another very good book is 'IDL programming techniques', by David Fanning, which is also partially available on the internet. It includes useful tips, especially for graphics and widgets, and has many example programs that you can use as templates.

Hope that helped!

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand your frustration with finding a good book on IDL. Programming can be a daunting task, especially when you are just starting to use a new language. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any "kids" or "coloring" books for IDL, but I do have some suggestions that may help you in your research.

First, I recommend reaching out to your colleagues or mentors in your astronomy lab for guidance. They may have some useful resources or tips on how to get started with IDL. Additionally, they may be able to provide some hands-on training or point you towards online tutorials that are more beginner-friendly.

Another option is to explore online forums or communities dedicated to IDL programming. There, you can connect with other researchers who may be able to offer advice or share their experiences with using IDL in astronomy research.

In terms of books, I suggest looking for ones that specifically cater to beginners or offer step-by-step tutorials. It may also be helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from other researchers who have had success with learning IDL.

Overall, I understand that learning a new programming language can be frustrating, but with persistence and the right resources, you will be able to master IDL and use it effectively in your research. Don't be afraid to ask for help and keep exploring different learning methods until you find one that works for you. Good luck!

1. What is IDL and why do I need a book about it?

IDL (Interactive Data Language) is a programming language commonly used in scientific research and data analysis. It is especially useful for handling large datasets and creating visualizations. A book on IDL can help you learn the fundamentals and become proficient in using it for your research.

2. How do I know if a book on IDL is good or not?

The best way to determine if a book on IDL is good is to read reviews from other scientists and researchers who have used it. Look for a book that is well-organized, easy to understand, and provides practical examples and exercises to help you learn.

3. Can I find free resources for learning IDL instead of buying a book?

Yes, there are some free resources available online for learning IDL, such as tutorials, forums, and code repositories. However, a book can provide a comprehensive and structured approach to learning IDL, which may be more beneficial for beginners or those looking to expand their knowledge.

4. Is there a specific book on IDL that is recommended for beginners?

There are several books on IDL that are recommended for beginners, such as "IDL Programming Techniques" by David W. Fanning and "Practical IDL Programming" by Liam E. Gumley. It is also helpful to choose a book that aligns with your specific research field or interests.

5. Can I use a book on IDL for a specific version, or do I need to find one for the latest version?

If you are just starting out with IDL, it is recommended to use a book for the latest version to ensure you are learning the most up-to-date techniques and features. However, older versions of IDL may still be relevant for specific research projects or if you are already familiar with a previous version.