Looking For a Physics Simulator

In summary, the conversation discusses an engineering project idea for a big science fair, which involves creating a physics simulator to demonstrate the effects of forces on objects connected by an electromagnet. The person is looking for a free or student-licensed simulator and is concerned about the safety of sharing their idea on an open forum. Another person suggests focusing on analytical methods rather than relying solely on simulations. The project involves building a proof of concept and the person seeks input from an engineer."
InventorX
Hello, I have an engineering project idea I hopefully would like to enter into a big science fair. I will need a physics Simulator that can show the effect of differing amounts of forces on 2 things joined by an electromagnet. Preferably free/open source or has a free student licence. If there is nothing free still link anything you know. Also do you have any idea if your allowed to use things like Inventor or other student licensed software for science fairs? Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What would a simulator give you that a bit of real hardware couldn't do better?
What precisely are you wanting to show?

The ability to model my device several times without having to break a bunch of material (it will be force with my device vs force without my device ) as well as being able to precisely show the amount of force being used, density of the material, etc, I feel that will make my project more credible. I really don't want to state exactly what my project is yet but I can answer any questions on what it needs to do.

Are you planning to compare the magnetisation of different metals? I always have a problem about presenting the results of a simulation as 'proof' of Physics or of Understanding Physics. When you consider how many computer games use dodgy Physics simulations for producing simulations of the physical world. Who would be fooling who?
But I am just a grumpy old gimmer so don't pay too much attention. :wink:
Seriously though, you should really define what actual message you want to get across before inventing an experiment with random stuff - real or virtual.

No that's not my idea. Its more of an engineering project, I will PM you soon if that's an option on this site.

InventorX said:
No that's not my idea. Its more of an engineering project, I will PM you soon if that's an option on this site.
There is no problem with carrying on in open forum. Someone else can then chip in.

sophiecentaur said:
There is no problem with carrying on in open forum. Someone else can then chip in.
I'm kind of paranoid of getting my idea stolen, do you think its safe?

Is your idea worth money?
Who would steal it? :smile:

I feel bad that not saying but I think I have a very strong idea that I hope can win awards at places like ISEF and I don't feel too comfortable putting it on an open forum even at a wonderful place like this one. But do you have any recommendations for a physics simulator that can do what I have described?

InventorX said:
I feel bad that not saying but I think I have a very strong idea that I hope can win awards at places like ISEF and I don't feel too comfortable putting it on an open forum even at a wonderful place like this one. But do you have any recommendations for a physics simulator that can do what I have described?
I don't know the climate these days but I wouldn't have thought that just a simulation would be top of the list of favourites. If you included some serious analysis and use the simulation only to demonstrate the results, that would be a different matter and could impress judges. Using a simulator on its own sounds too much like 'suck it and see what happens' to me.
No, I don't know any simulators, I'm afraid. I expect that a number of other PF members could help you, though.

What do you mean by analysis?

My project isn't just a simulation. Like I said before it is an engineering project I'm going to be building a proof of concept implementing magnetism but using the simulation to show effects with vs without my device. I would really like your input on my idea since you are an actual engineer. I just don't know if its wise to put it here.

InventorX said:
What do you mean by analysis?
I mean taking an analytical approach to the problem before any practical/ simulation. The sort of Physics you are contemplating is ideally suited to a mathematical treatment, which would establish / demonstrate your understanding much more than playing with numerical parameters, entered into a few blocks in a simulator. We have a long way to go before (if ever) we do our Science thinking with numerical models.
I know that it's very fashionable to leap into a simulation as soon as possible but the results cannot be relied on to show the inner workings of any system. It's putting the cart before the horse, imo.

InventorX said:
My project isn't just a simulation. Like I said before it is an engineering project I'm going to be building a proof of concept implementing magnetism but using the simulation to show effects with vs without my device. I would really like your input on my idea since you are an actual engineer. I just don't know if its wise to put it here.
OK PM me

I think you blocked yourself, It says I can not start a conversation with you.

I think the problem with finding such a simulator is that there's either simulators that are free (and easy) to use but then only model simple kinematics (no magnets), or super-high end finite-elements ones for costly money that require months to do what you want. Third category is "free download from university website, only compiles on sparc workstations".

BTW, not necessarily saying this applies to you, but we get a bit apprehensive here when people post about "secret" ideas involving magnetism, as it too often involves violations of basic physics laws (most notably the conservation of energy).

Last edited:
InventorX said:
I think you blocked yourself, It says I can not start a conversation with you.
I will sort that out. Continue in the morning as I'm off to bed.

1. What is a physics simulator?

A physics simulator is a computer program that uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate and predict the behavior of physical systems. It allows scientists and engineers to test and model various scenarios without having to physically conduct experiments.

2. What are the benefits of using a physics simulator?

Using a physics simulator can save time, money, and resources by allowing scientists to test and refine their hypotheses before conducting physical experiments. It also allows for the exploration of scenarios that may not be feasible or ethical to test in real life.

3. What types of systems can be simulated using a physics simulator?

Physics simulators can be used to model a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, thermal, and fluid systems. They can also be used to simulate the behavior of individual particles, such as atoms and molecules, and larger systems like planets and galaxies.

4. How are physics simulators different from video game engines?

Physics simulators are designed specifically for scientific and engineering purposes, while video game engines are designed for entertainment. Physics simulators use accurate physical models and principles, while video game engines prioritize visual and gameplay elements.

5. Are there any free physics simulators available?

Yes, there are several free physics simulators available, such as Blender, PhysX, and Algodoo. These simulators can be used for educational or personal purposes, but may have limitations in terms of features and accuracy compared to paid simulators used by professionals.