Looking for a push button breadboard switch

In summary, the individual is looking for a push button switch on mouser.com that can fit into a breadboard and be used as a clock for a counter. They are unsure of which switch to choose and are seeking recommendations. They also have additional questions regarding the interface type and whether it needs to be momentary or latching. They suggest using a dip-switch if latching is acceptable, or a tact switch for momentary use. They also mention the potential for bouncing with a mechanical switch and suggest using a filter.
JerryG
Can anyone recommend a push button switch that fits into a breadboard from mouser.com? I just want a push button switch that I can use to switch between Vcc and ground to use as the clock for a counter, but there are so many switches on mouser and I'm not sure which one to get. Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are more questions to be answered:
Does the interface type really matter?
Does it need to be momentary or latching?

If latching is OK, I would use a dip-switch since that can fit cleanly into a breadboard.
If momentary, I would recommend you search for a tact switch to do what you want.

BTW, don't forget a mechanical switch will bounce when activated. You might want a filter to account for that.

1. What is a push button breadboard switch?

A push button breadboard switch is a type of electronic switch that is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is designed to be mounted on a breadboard, which is a tool used for prototyping and testing electronic circuits.

2. How does a push button breadboard switch work?

A push button breadboard switch works by completing or breaking the connection between two electrical terminals when the button is pressed. When the button is not pressed, the switch remains open, allowing electricity to flow through the circuit. When the button is pressed, the switch closes, interrupting the flow of electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using a push button breadboard switch?

One of the main benefits of using a push button breadboard switch is its versatility. It can be easily mounted and removed from a breadboard, making it ideal for prototyping and testing different circuit designs. Additionally, it is easy to use and can be incorporated into a variety of electronic projects.

4. Can a push button breadboard switch be used for high voltage circuits?

No, push button breadboard switches are typically only designed to handle low voltage circuits. Using them for high voltage circuits can lead to damage and potential safety hazards. It is important to always check the specifications of the switch to ensure it is suitable for the voltage and current requirements of your circuit.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a push button breadboard switch?

Yes, there are other types of switches that can be used instead of a push button breadboard switch. Some alternatives include toggle switches, rocker switches, and slide switches. The best option will depend on the specific needs of your circuit and project.