Looking for an example of speciation in action- forgotten name of animal.

In summary, the conversation discusses an animal with a large range that exhibited genetic similarities between animals in adjacent areas, but not between those from opposite ends. It is suggested that this could be due to semi-isolated populations. The conversation then turns to joking about breeding Scotsmen and Scotswomen and the potential results. The conversation then shifts to discussing similar studies and the concept of "ring species", with examples such as the salamander genus Ensatina.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I remember reading a while ago about an animal with a fairly large range. Animals in areas adjacent to each other were genetically similar enough to interbreeed with no problems, but animals from opposite ends of their range could not. I think they existed in semi-isolated populations but am not sure. Does anyone know what it is that I'm thinking of?

Biology news on Phys.org
Scotsmen? :confused:

Danger said:
Scotsmen? :confused:
No, breeding Scotsmen from any part of their range yields equivalent results. Breeding them with Scotswomen, however, favors larger broods in the rural areas.

Aye. Meet the couple of the year... Ben Dover and Phil McCrevis.

Hmmm... lessee here...
Scotswomen...sheep... Scotswomen... sheep...

I think that it would result in a booming wool industry. :biggrin:

Take away the humor and these two guys are useless. :)

By animals: do you mean mammals, or birds, or what? There are a lot studies that kind of resemble what you're talking about.

I think that they were mammals but I'm unsure. Any example would be useful to be honest.

This month's SciAm has a nice article about the evolution of cats that indicates such a thing happened to the various species several times.

And :tongue: on Jim. :devil:

You may want to look up "ring species".:rolleyes: You may find examples.

Brilliant, thanks :smile:

What is speciation?

Speciation is the process by which new species arise from a common ancestor. It occurs when populations of a species become genetically isolated and evolve separately, leading to the formation of distinct species.

What is an example of speciation in action?

An example of speciation in action is the Galapagos finches. These birds evolved from a common ancestor into distinct species with different beak sizes and shapes, allowing them to adapt to different food sources on different islands.

What is the name of the animal that is an example of speciation in action?

The animal commonly used as an example of speciation in action is the Galapagos finches. However, there are many other examples of speciation in various animal species.

How does speciation occur?

Speciation can occur through various mechanisms such as geographic isolation, where populations are physically separated, or reproductive isolation, where populations become reproductively incompatible due to genetic or behavioral differences.

Why is studying speciation important for scientists?

Studying speciation allows scientists to better understand the processes and mechanisms involved in the formation of new species. It also provides insights into the diversity of life on Earth and how species adapt and evolve over time.