Looking for an idea for proving inequality, probably using binomial theorem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the opening chapter of a new calculus book, which introduces the real numbers and their properties. The conversation then focuses on a specific inequality and how to prove it using the telescoping sum method. The left part of the inequality is easily proven, but the right part proves to be more challenging. However, it is suggested to use the geometric series summation formula to prove it.
Polychoron
Guess what? I just got my new calculus book last week! ^^

The book opens with the definition of the real numbers by Dedekind and goes to prove properties of this numbering system such as The supremum axiom and others.
At the end of the chapter are about 30 exercises without their solutions; some practice of the chapter and some algebraic preparation for the next chapter deals with limits (mainly inequalities).

I want to consult with you about one inequality:
Prove that if x>y>0 and n>1 natural number than
n(x-y)yn-1< xn - yn < n(x-y)xn-1

I managed to elegantly prove the left part and it goes like that:
[tex]x^{n}=[y+(x-y)]^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{k}y^{k}(x-y)^{n-k}=y^{n}+\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\binom{n}{k}y^{k}(x-y)^{n-k}[/tex]
from here:
[tex]x^{n}-y^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\binom{n}{k}y^{k}(x-y)^{n-k}=(x-y)[\sum_{k=0}^{n-2}\binom{n}{k}y^{k}(x-y)^{n-k-1}+\binom{n}{n-1}y^{n-1}]>(x-y)ny^{n-1}[/tex]
As we were asked to show.

About the right inequality, well, it's not working so nicely...
When I try the same concept but slightly different, I have a hard time showing the last transition (where the "<" sine comes to play)

I got:
[tex]x^{n}-y^{n}=(x-y)[\sum_{k=0}^{n-2}\binom{n}{k}x^{k}(y-x)^{n-k-1}+\binom{n}{n-1}x^{n-1}][/tex]

Ans it stuck.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xn - yn = (x-y)(xn-1 + xn-2y +... + xyn-2 + yn-1)

Since there are n terms inside the parenthesis, the inequalities follow immediately.

Nice.

I agree that if the identity is right then the inequalities immediately derive from it. But can you prove it?
Of course I can see it by open the parenthesis, I simply don't fan of identities that came out of nowhere...

Last edited:
Polychoron said:
But can you prove it?

It's just a telescoping sum. Did you try?

Ya,
Polychoron said:
Of course I can see it by open the parenthesis, I simply don't fan of identities that came out of nowhere...
I thought maybe there is a way to derived it directly from xn-yn...

I guess if you wanted to prove what mathman used you could use the polynomial reminder theorem, but it's fairly obvious and I think common knowledge. Perhaps induction would be easier, either way, it's straight forward enough, if you desire to do so.

OK, thanks pals :)

Polychoron said:
Nice.

I agree that if the identity is right then the inequalities immediately derive from it. But can you prove it?

Use the geometric series summation formula with a = xn-1 and r = y/x

1. What is the binomial theorem and how does it relate to proving inequality?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand an expression with a binomial (two terms) raised to a power. This theorem can be used to prove inequalities by manipulating the terms and coefficients in the expression.

2. How can I use the binomial theorem to prove an inequality?

First, you need to identify the inequality you want to prove. Then, you can use the binomial theorem to expand the expression containing the terms involved in the inequality. By manipulating the terms and coefficients, you can show that one side of the expression is greater than the other, thus proving the inequality.

3. Can the binomial theorem only be used for proving inequalities?

No, the binomial theorem has many applications in mathematics, including expanding binomials, simplifying algebraic expressions, and solving equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using the binomial theorem to prove inequalities?

While the binomial theorem is a powerful tool, it may not always be the most efficient or effective method for proving inequalities. In some cases, other techniques such as mathematical induction or direct proof may be more suitable.

5. Can you provide an example of using the binomial theorem to prove an inequality?

Sure, let's say we want to prove the inequality (1+x)^2 > 1+2x for all values of x greater than 0. We can use the binomial theorem to expand (1+x)^2 = 1 + 2x + x^2. By comparing the terms on each side, we can see that x^2 > 0 and 1 > 0, so the inequality holds for all values of x greater than 0.