Where can I find a comprehensive list of equations?

• Thread starter Nim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a comprehensive list of equations for various subjects, particularly in physics. The conversation includes suggestions and discussions about the difficulty and relevance of such a task, as well as the importance of understanding the concepts behind the equations rather than just memorizing them. Several websites and a book are recommended as potential resources for equations and formulas.
Nim
Does anyone know where I can find a website or know of a book with a comprehensive list of equations? I want to know what they do, what units they use, etc... Some sort of reference you know?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
equations for what?

Tell me if you don't like this site
www.mathworld.com

It's got almost everything.

Daniel.

come on. what kind of question is that? a list of all the equations in the world?

thats like asking for a list of all the recipes in the world, or all the sentences in the world. or all the proverbs in the world, only far, farrrrrrr, more impossible.

think about your question a teeny bit more.

Would you like them all in lexical order with relivance to every different subject in the world? :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be all of them, just a lot. Doesn't matter what kind of equations either. I am mostly spending my time looking for ones that deal with physics. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Which branch of physics...?I doubt u'll find a book with such equations,just for your astoundment and admiration...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Tell me if you don't like this site
www.mathworld.com

It's got almost everything.

Daniel.

This site is a lot of help. I didn't find a category about equations, but I did a search and got a lot of results. At the moment I am trying to get a list of the basic science equations.

Code:
E=M*c²			Energy=DynamicMass*SpeedOfLight²		Joules=Kilograms*Meters Per Second
E=m/sqrt(1-v²/c²)*c²	Energy=Mass/sqrt(1-Velocity²*SoL²)*SoL²         ?
M=m/sqrt(1-v²/c²)*c²	DynamicM=Mass/sqrt(1-Velocity²*SoL²)*SoL²	?
KE=0.5*m*v²		Energy=0.5*mass*velocity²			Joules=0.5*Kilograms*Meters Per Second
KE=P*t			Energy=Power*Time		                Joules=Watts*Seconds
KE=V*I*t		Energy=Voltage*Current*Time		        Joules=Volts*Amps*Seconds
PE=M*C²			Energy=Mass*Speed of Light²		        Joules=Kilograms*Meters Per Second
PE=h*f			Energy=Planck's Constant*Frequency		Joules=?*Hertz
PE=m*g*h		Energy=mass*acceleration of gravity*height	?
P=E/t			Power=Energy/Time			        Watts=Joules*Seconds
P=V*I			Power=Voltage*Current			        Watts=Volts*Amps
P=I²*R			Power=Current²*Resistance			Watts=Amps²*Ohms
P=V²/R			Power=Voltage²/Resistance			Watts=Volts²/Ohms
I=P/V			Current=Power/Voltage			        Amps=Watts/Volts
I=V/R			Current=Voltage/Resistance			Amps=Volts/Ohms (Ohm's Law)
V=P/I			Voltage=Power/Current			        Volts=Watts/Amps
V=I*R			Voltage=Current*Resistance			Volts=Amps*Ohms
R=P/I²			Resistance=Power/Current²			Ohms=Watts/Amps²
R=V²/P			Resistance=Voltage²/Power			Ohms=Volts²/Watts
R=V/I			Resistance=Voltage/Current			Ohms=Volts/Amps
Q=I*t			Charge=Current*Time			        Coulombs=Amps*Seconds
D=S*T			DistanceTraveled=Speed*ElapsedTime		Kilometers=Kilometers Per Second*Seconds
S=D/T			Speed=DistanceTraveled/ElapsedTime		Kilometers Per Second=Kilometers/Seconds
T=D/S			ElapsedTime=DistanceTraveled/Speed		Seconds=Kilometers/Kilometers Per Second
c=n*l			WaveVelocity=Frequency*Wavelength		Meters Per Second=Hertz*Meters
l=c/n			Wavelength=WaveVelocity/Frequency		Meters=Meters Per Second/Hertz
n=c/l			Frequency=WaveVelocity/Wavelength		Hertz=Meters Per Second/Meters

look. if you want to understand physics, do not concern yourself with a huge pile of equations. learn the most important ideas. I have it on good authority, that these are the conservation laws.

more knowledgeable input anyone?

First of all i resent the idea of gathering a pile of equations from all areas of (in this case classical) physics which have nothing in common and whose relevance is totally lost.Basically u jump with ease from equations/equalities in SR to nonrelativistic mechanics and then to elecrticity.It's pointless.
As for units,they are totally mixed up.U can't have both meters & Kilometers,u can have only one species...
Plus the notation is totally unappropriate and would definitely generate confusion...

Daniel.

It's for a program that I am working on. If you type in an equation it looks at it and cuts it up in pieces and takes the parts that looks like a value needs to be added too and puts it next to a texbox. Once I have a lot of equations, I am going to add a search feature so its easier to find an equation for a certain task. I also want to add a description of each equation eventually.

Nim said:
It's for a program that I am working on. If you type in an equation it looks at it and cuts it up in pieces and takes the parts that looks like a value needs to be added too and puts it next to a texbox. Once I have a lot of equations, I am going to add a search feature so its easier to find an equation for a certain task. I also want to add a description of each equation eventually.
:uhh:

There are many reasons why I think you'll struggle with that, but good luck, remember though equations without context are meaningless as anyone can write down a random equation.

In that case,i assume u won't be needing our help,we're not encyclopedias of equations...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
we're not encyclopedias of equations...

Daniel.

Of course not, I was hoping that you might know of some books or websites that were though.

But since that doesn't seem to possible, and since I seem to be confused about some things like unappropriate notation and the use of measurements, maybe you can point me out to a site that can tell me how to do these things right?

Perhaps you should include einsteins field equations (General Relativity)

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/NumRel/mathmine2.html

What is the purpose of looking for equations?

The purpose of looking for equations is to express relationships between different quantities or variables in a concise and systematic manner. Equations allow scientists to make predictions, solve problems, and understand the underlying principles of natural phenomena.

How do scientists search for equations?

Scientists search for equations by conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing patterns and relationships within the data. They also use mathematical models and equations from previous research as a starting point for their own investigations.

What makes a good equation?

A good equation is one that accurately describes the relationship between variables and can be used to make predictions or solve problems. It should also be simple, concise, and able to be tested and supported by experimental evidence.

Are equations always accurate?

No, equations are not always accurate. They are based on assumptions and simplifications of the real world, and may not account for all variables or factors that can affect a phenomenon. It is important for scientists to continually test and refine equations to improve their accuracy.

Why are equations important in science?

Equations are important in science because they allow us to describe and understand complex natural phenomena in a quantitative and systematic way. They also provide a framework for making predictions and testing hypotheses, leading to a deeper understanding of the natural world.