Looking for information on piezomagnetic materials

In summary, piezomagnetism is a relatively new area of research involving materials that exhibit both piezoelectric and magnetic properties. These materials can generate a voltage when compressed or expand/contract when a voltage is applied. To learn more, one can refer to online resources such as websites and journal articles.
lostminty
Could someone help me understand the strength of fields that can be produced with piezomagnetism?

I have not had much luck with searches for these materials.

Physics news on Phys.org
lostminty, welcome to Physics Forums. I am pretty sure you are asking about Piezoelectric materials and not “piezomagnetism”. If so, a quick Google search brought me these two sites:

This first one describes the basic science of piezoelectricity. If you compress the material it will generate a voltage, or if you apply a voltage it will expand or contract. See: http://www.piezomaterials.com/

This wikipedia site is detailed and an excellent source for you to study: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

If you have further questions or doubts post them here. Google and Wikipedia are your friends…learn to use them to help you learn new things. Good luck!

Hi, no I am definitely asking about piezomagnetic materials

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezomagnetism

They seem pretty recent, I've looked up articles from my uni's search engine. There is a lot of study with piezoelectric/piezomagnetic composites.

Excuse me. Thanks for the new news! I will study up whatever I can find!

I found one journal article where they were measuring the scalar coefficient, it was highly affected by what I think was the field intensity during poling. It wasn't clear to me what kind of field strengths were being produced. Might try finding it again...or if i could find the equation for coefficients that would be good.

1. What are piezomagnetic materials?

Piezomagnetic materials are substances that exhibit both piezoelectric and magnetic properties. This means that they can generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress, and they also respond to magnetic fields by changing their shape or size.

2. How do piezomagnetic materials work?

Piezomagnetic materials work by utilizing the magnetostriction effect, which is the ability of certain materials to change their shape or dimensions in response to a magnetic field. This change in shape or size leads to a corresponding change in the magnetic properties of the material.

3. What are some common applications of piezomagnetic materials?

Piezomagnetic materials are commonly used in various sensing and actuation applications. They are used to create high-precision sensors, such as strain gauges and accelerometers, as well as in medical devices, robotics, and energy harvesting systems.

4. How are piezomagnetic materials different from piezoelectric materials?

Piezomagnetic materials and piezoelectric materials both exhibit the ability to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. However, piezomagnetic materials also respond to magnetic fields, while piezoelectric materials do not.

5. What are some examples of piezomagnetic materials?

Some common examples of piezomagnetic materials include nickel, cobalt, and iron alloys. Other materials such as Terfenol-D, a terbium-iron-dysprosium alloy, and Metglas, an amorphous metallic glass, also exhibit piezomagnetic properties.