Solve Polynomial Equations: P(x² - 2x) = [P(x-2)]²

• Thread starter Dinheiro
  • Start date
So, if α is a root, then it is a root of Q, right? Then, if Q has n roots, and α is one of these roots, the polynomial must have n roots. I think I'm close, but I'm not sure how to continue... So, if α is a root, then it is a root of Q, right? Then, if Q has n roots, and α is one of these roots, the polynomial must have n roots. I think I'm close, but I'm not sure how to continue...Try finding a value for α from Q(x²) = Q²(x). Use the assumption that the lowest two degree terms are as I said.
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

Find all polynomials P(x), such that P(x² - 2x) = [P(x-2)]²

Homework Equations

Polynomial equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x = y+2, then
P(y²+2y) = P²(y)

I tried to analyse by derivating
P'(y²+2y)(2y+2) = 2P(y)P'(y)
P'(y²+2y)(y+1) = P'(y)P(y)
I am not sure if I derivated correctly, though

Yet, that's it. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dinheiro said:

Homework Statement

Find all polynomials P(x), such that P(x² - 2x) = [P(x-2)]²

Homework Equations

Polynomial equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x = y+2, then
P(y²+2y) = P²(y)

I tried to analyse by derivating
P'(y²+2y)(2y+2) = 2P(y)P'(y)
P'(y^2+2y)(y+1) = P'(y)P(y)
I am not sure if I derivated correctly, though

Yet, that's it. Any ideas?

I would consider what ##\deg\big( P(x)\big)## says about ##\deg\big(P'(y²+2y)(y+1)\big)## and ##\deg\big( P'(y)P(y)\big)##. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm guessing you will get a good constraint on ##\deg\big( P(x)\big)## which will make it easier to just brute force the coefficients.

Also, and this is just a pet peeve of mine, the appropriate verb and its tenses are differentiate, differentiating, and differentiated.

Good call, let deg(P(x)) = n, then
2(n-1) + 1 = n(n-1)
n² - 3n +1 = 0??
Did I differentiated correctly?
By the way, not peeve at all, my english is quite rusty and I miss sometimes some english technical terms, thanks for the correction xD

Last edited:
Dinheiro said:
Good call, let deg(P(x)) = n, then
2(n-1) + 1 = n(n-1)

Think again about the right hand side of that equation. (I think the corrected form will be tautology.)

Try some other lines:
- find a value of x for which P can be evaluated (or, at least, for which you can limit the possible values to a small set).
- suppose P has a root, α. What other roots are implied?
- what can you say about a local minimum of P?

Last edited:
... or consider P[x] = Q[x+c]. See if you can find a value of c which yields a simpler equation.

Why P(x) = Q(x+c)? Did you mean, if the function were periodic of period c, like P(x) = P(x + c)?

By the way, Could you say if I differentiated correctly at post #3? Shouldn't I get an integer n?
Thanks

The answer in my cousin's book seems to be

[itex](x+1)^{n}[/itex]

I really thought the answer would be a monster Oo

Dinheiro said:
Why P(x) = Q(x+c)? Did you mean, if the function were periodic of period c, like P(x) = P(x + c)?
No, not periodic:
P(y²+2y) = P²(y)
Q(y²+2y+c) = Q²(y+c)

Can you spot a value of c that makes that interesting?
By the way, Could you say if I differentiated correctly at post #3? Shouldn't I get an integer n?
You differentiated ok, but wrongly evaluated the highest power that would arise on the right hand side. If you do it correctly, you'll find that the equation doesn't tell you anything.

You differentiated ok, but wrongly evaluated the highest power that would arise on the right hand side. If you do it correctly, you'll find that the equation doesn't tell you anything.
Oh, I see now, thanks :redface:

Dinheiro said:
Oh, I see now, thanks :redface:
Did you find the value of c in my Q()? I think I can help you find how to solve the problem.

Let me retry the problem

c = 1, so that Q(y²+2y+1) = Q[(y+1)²]
and, therefore,
Q[(y+1)²]=Q²[(y+1)]
Great, haruspex!
Now, Let y+1 = z
Q(z²)=Q²(z)
Now, I got stucked, how can I really prove Q(z) = (z+1)^n from it? I can guess the answer, but I couldn't really demonstrate it

Dinheiro said:
c = 1, so that Q(y²+2y+1) = Q[(y+1)²]
and, therefore,
Q[(y+1)²]=Q²[(y+1)]
Great, haruspex!
Now, Let y+1 = z
Q(z²)=Q²(z)
Now, I got stucked, how can I really prove Q(z) = (z+1)^n from it? I can guess the answer, but I couldn't really demonstrate it
Good progress. Now you're in a better position to try one of my first suggestions. (It might have worked with P(), but it's easier with Q().) Suppose α is a root (not necessarily real). What other roots are implied?

haruspex said:
Good progress. Now you're in a better position to try one of my first suggestions. (It might have worked with P(), but it's easier with Q().) Suppose α is a root (not necessarily real). What other roots are implied?
Edit: There's an easier way: just consider the lowest two degree terms in Q, ##a_r x^r + a_s x^s##, say. Equate the lowest two terms of Q(x2) with the lowest two of Q2(x).

Likes 1 person
Great! Thanks, haruspex!

1. What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic equation that involves variables and coefficients, and can be solved to find the values of the variables that make the equation true.

2. How do I solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you need to simplify the equation by combining like terms and using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Then, you can use methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division to find the solutions.

3. What is the difference between P(x² - 2x) and [P(x-2)]²?

P(x² - 2x) is a polynomial expression with a squared variable, which means that the variable is multiplied by itself. [P(x-2)]² is also a polynomial expression, but it involves a polynomial function P(x) being squared, which means that the function is multiplied by itself.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by substituting the values you found for the variables into the original equation and seeing if it makes the equation true. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if the solutions you found are the points where the graph intersects the x-axis.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve polynomial equations?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or a scientific calculator to solve polynomial equations. These calculators have built-in functions and programs that can help you find the solutions to polynomial equations quickly and accurately.