Looking for reference on hot pressing

In summary, there are several references available on hot pressing and its associated flaws, including books such as "Hot Pressing of Ceramics, Glasses, and Composites" and "Ceramic Processing and Sintering," as well as online articles and insights from industry experts.
uby
Hello all,

I am conducting some experiments in which the samples are to be produced via hot pressing. However, I have been unable to produce flaw-free parts (e.g., parts exhibit pancaking and crown defects). I'm not sure what modifications to the load schedule or die assembly should be made to help alleviate the issue, but as a start I'd like to find a general reference discussing the types of flaws that can develop during pressing and how to address them.

Does anyone know of any such references? I've not been able to find much more than introductory treatments in general ceramic texts.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
</code>There are several good references available on hot pressing and the types of flaws that can develop during the process. One of the best resources is the book "Hot Pressing of Ceramics, Glasses, and Composites" by Nicholas M. Loehr and Uttam K. Roy. It provides an in-depth look at the principles of hot pressing and discusses common defects and their causes in detail. Additionally, the book "Ceramic Processing and Sintering" by Mohamed N. Rahaman provides a comprehensive overview of sintering-related topics and includes a section on hot pressing and its associated defects.Other resources include various papers and articles related to hot pressing and its associated flaws. The American Ceramic Society website has a wealth of information on this topic, and there are several other scholarly articles available online that discuss hot pressing and its associated issues. Finally, industry experts often provide helpful insights and advice on how to address hot pressing-related issues.Overall, there is a wealth of information available on hot pressing and the types of flaws that can develop during the process. With these resources, you should be able to gain a better understanding of the causes of such defects and strategies to address them.

1. What is hot pressing?

Hot pressing is a manufacturing process that involves applying heat and pressure to a material to form a desired shape or structure. This method is commonly used in the production of ceramics, metals, and polymers.

2. What are the benefits of hot pressing?

Hot pressing offers several advantages over other manufacturing methods, including improved material density and strength, better control over the final product's shape and dimensions, and shorter production times.

3. What materials can be hot pressed?

Virtually any material that can withstand high temperatures and pressure can be hot pressed. This includes ceramics, metals, polymers, and composites.

4. How does hot pressing differ from other forming techniques?

Hot pressing differs from other forming techniques, such as injection molding or cold pressing, in that it involves the application of heat and pressure simultaneously. This allows for greater control over the material's structure and properties.

5. Are there any limitations to hot pressing?

While hot pressing offers many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. Not all materials can be hot pressed, and the process may not be suitable for complex or intricate shapes. Additionally, hot pressing can be a costly and time-consuming process compared to other forming techniques.