Looking for SF book ID...

Hornbein
Over fifty years ago I read a paperback that impressed me but I don't recall the title or author. Little help?

The hero somehow finds himself on a spaceship with thirty other aliens, each from a different planet. They have no common language. They ignore one another. The hero rejects this status quo and decides to fistfight his way to the top. He can't do this, but his persistent efforts bring the others out of their shell. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be: "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester? (I was curious and asked ChatGPT!)

Doc Al said:
Could it be: "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester? (I was curious and asked ChatGPT!)
No resemblance.

Oh well! :frown:

Hornbein said:
Over fifty years ago I read a paperback that impressed me but I don't recall the title or author. Little help?

The hero somehow finds himself on a spaceship with thirty other aliens, each from a different planet. They have no common language. They ignore one another. The hero rejects this status quo and decides to fistfight his way to the top. He can't do this, but his persistent efforts bring the others out of their shell. ?
Sounds like a plot the producers behind Star Trek would absolutely love! :)

I don't know if it's apocryphal but I've read somewhere that the producers decided to do the pilot because they liked that it was resolved by a good old-fashioned fist-fight.