Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for some app to capture audio from video

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Hello guys,
    I'm looking for an application to capture audios from videos, best if into .mp3 format. It'd also be great if I can modify quality by myself.
    I'd rather prefer it to be free, but doesn't have to.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2
    What is the format of the video, e.g. VOBs, mpeg1, mpeg2, avi, or are you looking for something generic?
  4. Jul 23, 2006 #3
    Formats are different. It'd be best if an application is for various formats, and captures to various formats also. What I'd like, is to capture audios from various lectures and interviews so that I can put them on my mp3 player and listen to while doing some work or riding a bicycle.

Also, if anyone of you knows a program to capture audios at instant, like from streaming files, radios, etc
  5. Jul 23, 2006 #4
    I think you are looking for something like this:

"Very simple and fast AC3, MPA/MP2 audio encoder tool. Open WAV, MP3, AVI video, MPG video and convert directly to AC3 or MPA/MP2 audio in one step. GUI for ffmpeg. Extract all files to a folder and run ffmpeggui.exe. "

And it is free! :biggrin:

I am pretty sure it won't work for VOBs (the files from a ripped DVD), you can find several trialware programs to rip these files, or you could convert the VOBs to DivX and then get the sound.

By the way, the videohelp website is one of the best sites for audio/video.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  6. Jul 23, 2006 #5
    Thanks, I'm downloading it right now.

Do you also know any nonfree but very good applications of this kind?
  7. Jul 23, 2006 #6
    Adobe Premiere

8. Jul 23, 2006 #7

Staff: Mentor

Any video editor worthy of the categorization will do this, as well as most mp3 encoders.
  9. Jul 24, 2006 #8
    Thanks everyone!

Seems to work. What I'd also need is some software to handle sound quality in mp3 files :)

Thanks once again :)
  10. Jul 24, 2006 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean, handle sound quality?

- Warren
  11. Jul 24, 2006 #10
    I have no idea what you mean.

Easy and nice software for editing audio is:
    Adobe Audition
    Formally cool edit pro

To encode into Mp3 (variable quality, etc.. maybe this means handle sound quality)
  12. Jul 24, 2006 #11
    for audio editing i use Audacity (its free) - you can remove noise, change volume, cut and paste, do effects, and encode to mp3/ogg/wav... you can convert to mono, set sampling rate etc.

but i'm not sure if it supports surround.
  13. Jul 26, 2006 #12
    Right. Sorry for that. I meant, manipulate sound quality, audio quality, just overall quality of a file played.

I did a google search and what I've got to know is that a bit rate and sampling frames are major factors in quality of a sound. This I can do with just any converting program.

Thanks Chroot and everyone out there!
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  14. Aug 9, 2006 #13
    i just installed audacity..but i guess noise removal wasn't that great...!!

Is there some way to do it such that it can be done nicely!
  15. Aug 9, 2006 #14

Homework Helper

If you have a soundblaster sound card, you can just "record what you hear" to a wav file then convert it to what ever format you want. This includes any effects like clean up of the sound, equalization, ... I have a SoundBlaster X-Fi card and it's record utility include recording in multiple formats, such as .WAV, .MP3, .WMA, ... If the video is in a format that the Soundblaster media player can play, you can use the record feature in the media player as well.

For speech, or other vocals, you probably want to compress the volume range (this is commonly done when recording singers for music). SoundBlaster includes a "crystalizer" which appears to be a volume range expander / compressor, but I haven't investigated this yet. If you can compress the vocal volume range, it's usually easier to get rid of background sound, as long as the lowest vocal volume had some room between it and background noise.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  16. Aug 9, 2006 #15
    i have .wav format only and i fo have many softwares like which show noise removal but doesn't actually do that well.....they actually deteriorate the sound quality further...
    Actually point is i downloaded some lectures but they have lot of noise and so i actually want to remove all that and just listen voice of lecturer...!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?