Looking for the right MOSFET transistor

In summary, the transistor you need will turn off anywhere between 2.5-2.7V and stay on when above that voltage. It needs to have a "max/min gate threshold voltage" that is at least 2.5V, and it should also have a switch resistance that falls as gate voltage increases. The transistor you need is the Infineon BSR802N.
Charlie Kelly
I need a MOSFET transistor that will turn off anywhere between 2.5-2.7V and stay on when above that voltage, looking through the datasheets of these transistors, what spec should I be looking for?

Here are some I've found that I think may work:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet-transistors/6887178/
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet-transistors/9047348/

I think these will work for me based off of the "max/min gate threshold voltage" but I'm worried that may be incorrect.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What maximum voltage when off? What maximum current when on?
Turn on and off times depend on how it is driven. How fast must the MOSFET switch?
On and off are not exact. The pinch-off voltage range can be predicted and listed as max/min, but the switch resistance will fall as gate voltage increases above that critical point.
How much gate drive voltage and current do you have?
Are you switching an inductive load such as a motor? If so look for an internal Schottky diode.

Neither meet your stated requirements, the Minimum Gate Threshold Voltage is too low. The first one may turn on at 1.4V and the second one at 2.4V. Keep looking.

Baluncore said:
What maximum voltage when off? What maximum current when on?
Turn on and off times depend on how it is driven. How fast must the MOSFET switch?
On and off are not exact. The pinch-off voltage range can be predicted and listed as max/min, but the switch resistance will fall as gate voltage increases above that critical point.
How much gate drive voltage and current do you have?
Are you switching an inductive load such as a motor? If so look for an internal Schottky diode.
Im using it to power LEDs than run at very low current, about 20mA and the max voltage will be only 5.5V. It is not necessary for the MOSFET to switch instantly but would be better if it did. I am making a small crank light and I want the capacitors to go straight to the LEDs until the voltage drops and the LEDs get too dim, then for the MOSFET to switch off and the power to go through the joule thief to drain the capacitors completely while still providing bright light.

Tom.G said:
Neither meet your stated requirements, the Minimum Gate Threshold Voltage is too low. The first one may turn on at 1.4V and the second one at 2.4V. Keep looking.
Okay, so the min gate threshold voltage is when the resistance in the mosfet will become low enough to start letting some current through but as the voltage becomes higher, the resistance in the mosfet will keep dropping until it reaches the max gate threshold voltage where the resistance in the mosfet will be as low as it can be, correct? Or am I understanding it incorrectly.

Well... close. The device will start to turn on somewhere between the Min and the Max Gate Threshold Voltage; it won't be the same for every transistor you get. The spec sheet says only that every device they supply wil turn on somewhere between the Min and Max. Since these devices are rated in 19Amps and above, there won't be much Gate voltage difference between 'barely on' versus 'full on' for your 10mA or so current.

1. What is a MOSFET transistor and how does it work?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that is commonly used in electronic devices. It works by controlling the flow of current between the source and drain terminals using an electric field created by a gate terminal.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing the right MOSFET transistor?

When choosing a MOSFET transistor, you should consider its maximum voltage and current ratings, threshold voltage, on-resistance, and switching speed. You should also consider the type of application and the required specifications for your circuit.

3. How do I determine the maximum voltage and current ratings for a MOSFET transistor?

The maximum voltage and current ratings for a MOSFET transistor can be found in the datasheet provided by the manufacturer. It is important to choose a transistor with ratings that are higher than the maximum voltage and current in your circuit to ensure reliable operation.

4. What is the difference between N-channel and P-channel MOSFET transistors?

N-channel and P-channel MOSFET transistors differ in their polarity and the direction of current flow. N-channel transistors have a negative polarity and allow current to flow from the source to the drain, while P-channel transistors have a positive polarity and allow current to flow from the drain to the source.

5. How do I use a MOSFET transistor in a circuit?

To use a MOSFET transistor in a circuit, you must connect the source terminal to the ground, the drain terminal to the load, and the gate terminal to the control signal. Make sure to also include any necessary resistors to ensure proper operation and protection of the transistor.