Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking to teach the Nuclear Science Merit Badge, had a couple of q's

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm a counselor at a boy scout camp and we're looking at adding the Nuclear Science Merit Badge to our program. I had a couple questions about it for someone more knowledgeable than myself so hopefully someone here can help!

-Two requirements involve the construction of a cloud chamber and an electroscope, and testing them with radioactive material. I was wondering if a) anyone had any tips on how to do these simply (I've seen a couple good DIY guides, and I'm looking at doing a simple petri dish cloud chamber w/ 91% isoprobyl alcohol and a mason jar / aluminum foil /copper wire electroscope, but any other advice would be appreciated) and b, if a bit of Americium from a smoke detector would be a safe & effective way to do this. It seems to me that it would work fine with the cloud chamber, but for the electroscope I'm thinking I might need something with beta decay?

-One (optional) requirement involves using a radiation survey meter and testing a few different things with it. My camp director has given me a budget of $100 to purchase one, will this be sufficient for something decent enough to pick up some background radiation, Americium, and maybe like a banana or something? I saw a bunch of Victoreen CDV-7xx model geiger counters on ebay for $60-$100, would one of those probably work?

I appreciate any advice! The full MB requirements are avaialable here if anyone wants to take a look at them: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Nuclear_Science

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted