Lorentz transforming differential operators on scalar fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties encountered while trying to understand the proof of Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation in Peskin and Schroeder's book. The transformation of differential operators is a key issue, and the conversation suggests using the chain rule and the relation between ##\partial^\mu## and ##\partial_\mu## to solve it.
Theage

Homework Statement

I'm reading Peskin and Schroeder to the best of my ability. Other than a few integration tricks that escaped me I made it through chapter 2 with no trouble, but the beginning of chapter three, "Lorentz Invariance in Wave Equations", has me stumped. They are going through a proof that the Klein-Gordon equation [itex](\partial_\mu\partial^\mu+m^2)\phi=0[/itex] is Lorentz invariant, and I can't understand for the life of me how they came up with the transformations of differential operators.

Homework Equations

[tex]\partial_\mu\phi(x)\to\partial_\mu(\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x))=(\Lambda^{-1})^\nu_{\,\,\mu}(\partial_\nu\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand (at least intuitively) how a scalar field should transform on its own, which makes it easy to transform the mass term in the KG Lagrangian (we're working with no potential or interaction terms) which is proportional to the square of the field. The second equality in the equation above is the problem. At first I thought it had something to do with conjugation by the inverse of the transformation in question, but this doesn't seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the chain rule ##\partial_\mu = (\partial x'{}^\nu/\partial x^\mu) \partial_{\nu'}## and the relation between ##\partial^\mu## and ##\partial_\mu##.

1. What is a Lorentz transforming differential operator?

A Lorentz transforming differential operator is a mathematical operation that transforms a scalar field (a function that assigns a single value to each point in space) from one coordinate system to another, specifically from one that is stationary to one that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the stationary system.

2. Why is it important to study Lorentz transforming differential operators on scalar fields?

Lorentz transforming differential operators are essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems in special relativity. They allow us to describe how quantities such as energy, momentum, and time change when observed from different reference frames, and are crucial in developing theories such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. How do Lorentz transforming differential operators affect scalar fields?

Lorentz transforming differential operators act on scalar fields by changing the values of the field at different points in space and time. This is necessary to ensure that the laws of physics remain the same in all inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative velocities.

4. What is the mathematical representation of a Lorentz transforming differential operator?

Lorentz transforming differential operators are typically represented using the Lorentz transformation matrix, which is a mathematical tool that describes how physical quantities vary between different reference frames. It is a 4x4 matrix that takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

5. Are Lorentz transforming differential operators used in other areas of science?

Yes, Lorentz transforming differential operators have applications in various fields of science, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. They are also used in engineering and technology, particularly in the design of high-speed devices such as particle accelerators and GPS systems.