Lorenz Attractors and Trajectories

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lorenz attractors and confusion about a specific figure in the textbook. The author explains that the figure shows the merging of two surfaces in the lower portion and the dots represent areas with a significant density of paths. They also clarify that an attractor can take different forms, such as a point or a loop, and that the entire picture is considered the attractor for the Lorenz oscillator. The conversation ends with a question about the difference between a Lorenz attractor and the trajectory from solving the Lorenz equations.
EbolaPox

Homework Statement

I'm using the textbook "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Strogratz. So far, it's been terrific. However, I got to the section on the Lorenz attractor and got stuck. The author has a picture and an explanation that eludes me. The picture in question can be seen on this google books page (page 320 , use the search bar and type Strange Attractor). The paragraph directly below figure 9.3.3 in which he states "the pair of surfaces merge into one in the lower portion of Figure 9.3.3". What pair of surfaces is he referring to in that picture? It just looks like part of the trajectory. What do the dots represent in that picture?

http://books.google.com/books?id=FIYHiBLWCJMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Strogatz+Chaos#PPA320,M1

To make this make a bit more sense, on the page before, he introduced a picture of a trajectory that Lorenz originally discovered. That picture is the same as the top-right most picture on this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_Attractor

The first picture there on this wikipedia link is a trajectory. The author then starts talking about lorenz attractors. I'm not too sure I understand the connection. I thought attractors were points that trajectories stayed near, and now it seems like he is calling the trajectory an attractor. Is he implying that this weird trajectory Lorenz discovered goes to an attractor or to a set of attracting points?

What is the difference between a lorenz attractor and the trajectory from solving the Lorenz equations? Is it the set of points that the trajectory tends towards as t-> infinity, or is it the trajectory itself? Is there just one Lorenz attractor for certain parameter values of the Lorenz equations and different initial conditions lead give us trajectories that tend to a Lorenz attractor?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you very much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
EbolaPox said:
"the pair of surfaces merge into one in the lower portion of Figure 9.3.3". What pair of surfaces is he referring to in that picture?
The "ears" or upper lobes of the picture. Paths in those areas merge with each other in the lower region.
What do the dots represent in that picture?
Nothing in particular. They're just areas that contain some significant density of paths.
I thought attractors were points that trajectories stayed near
An attractor doesn't have to be a point (0D). For example, a limit cycle is a loop-shaped attractor (1D). That entire picture is the attractor for the Lorentz oscillator. It's a bounded, irregular orbit with a noninteger (fractal) dimensionality (~2.05D).

Last edited:

1. What are Lorenz attractors and trajectories?

Lorenz attractors and trajectories are mathematical models used to describe the behavior of a dynamical system. They were first introduced by mathematician Edward Lorenz in the 1960s to explain the chaotic behavior of weather patterns.

2. How do Lorenz attractors and trajectories work?

Lorenz attractors and trajectories use a set of differential equations to plot the movement of a system over time. The equations take into account three variables: temperature, humidity, and wind speed. These variables are represented by x, y, and z coordinates, respectively.

3. What is the significance of Lorenz attractors and trajectories?

Lorenz attractors and trajectories have been used to study a wide range of complex systems in fields such as meteorology, economics, and biology. They have also helped researchers understand the concept of chaos and the limits of predictability in dynamic systems.

4. Can Lorenz attractors and trajectories be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Lorenz attractors and trajectories have been used in various real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, stock market analysis, and predicting population growth. They have also been used in designing control systems for complex engineering processes.

5. What are some limitations of Lorenz attractors and trajectories?

One limitation of Lorenz attractors and trajectories is that they are based on a simplified model and may not accurately represent the complexities of real-world systems. Additionally, they are highly sensitive to initial conditions, making long-term predictions challenging. They are also limited to systems that can be described by a set of differential equations.