Low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher

• Thread starter _maxim_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the person is looking for a way to create a simple IN/OUT line switcher for use in a small room with an amplified mixer, a PC with Skype, and an human operator. They want a buffer to separate the output signal from the audio board, a simple "audio deviator" to send the input signal to the audio board, and low cost and low consumption.
_maxim_
Hi guys,

I need some idea on how to realize a simple IN/OUT line switcher.

The fact: a small room for meetings with amplified mixer, a PC with Skype, an human operator, people in the room and outside (via Skype).

The use: a lecturer talks to people using a MIC and the PC drives the signal from the mixer to the net through Skype (conference call). Of course, those present at the meeting can follow the conference from the sound system.

The needs: the operator uses a selector (switcher) to interact briefly with people connected in the conference call (i.e. to be sure about the quality of the transmission, to give service infos...), then he goes back to the lecturer. The operator uses headset with micro. Normally people from outside are not asked to be lecturers, only occasionally they can have an interaction to say few words after the invitation of the operator.

The circuit must be supplied by a PC USB connector (5Vcc, low consumption), it should be capable to drive signals from/to IN/OUT, mixer and audio PC lines, MIC and headset without introducing distorsions or attenuation. The selection of "operator mode" can be done either by a single push-button or by a switch, with status LED required.

Any idea is welcome!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok,

it is the time to refine my request :wink:

I guess I need:

- a simple buffer to separate the output signal from an audio board into two lines, one directed to the headset, the other directed to the preamp input. One could use one horrible audio Y-cable splitter, but I want to avoid any attenuation and/or source of extra noise.

- a simple "audio deviator" to send the input signal to the audio board coming from the MIC (headset) OR from the preamp output. Here the same, low attenuation and robust noise rejection. I know people who do that by using a mechanical deviator...

The main request is for low cost and low consumption.
Do you know if there are some discret components for that? I would think a schematic based on OpAmps, but I don't know which model is available for single power line 5 Vcc max (USB)

Thank you in advance for your help!
M

1. What is a low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher?

A low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher is an electronic device used to switch between multiple input and output lines with minimal noise interference and power consumption.

2. What are the benefits of using a low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher?

The main benefit of using a low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher is improved signal quality due to reduced noise interference. Additionally, it can help conserve energy and prolong the lifespan of electronic devices by reducing power consumption.

3. How does a low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher work?

A low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher works by using electronic components such as capacitors, resistors, and transistors to control the flow of signals between input and output lines. It also includes features such as filters and amplifiers to reduce noise and maintain signal quality.

4. Where are low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switchers commonly used?

Low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switchers are commonly used in electronic devices that require multiple input and output lines, such as audio and video equipment, telecommunications systems, and computer networks.

5. Are low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switchers expensive?

The cost of a low-noise low-consumption IN/OUT line switcher can vary depending on its features and quality. However, in general, they are not significantly more expensive than standard line switchers and can provide long-term cost savings through improved signal quality and reduced power consumption.