Low temperature physics dangerous?

In summary, the guy is worried about scientists messing with the universe, and temperatures at a fraction of a kelvin could be dangerous.
stuart1
Could temperatures at a fraction of a kelvin be dangerous? We have only naturally observed temperatures of 1k

But in a lab they did 100pk

Science news on Phys.org
Temperatures of less then 20°C of the whole body and temperatures of less then about 0°C below the skin are dangerous for the human body. Just prevent these things from happening. If you have a block of copper somewhere at less then 1K it will just collect frost on top and not much will happen. If you touch it you will get frostbite. That's it. No worries. The reason why temperatures lower than say 10K are not much more dangerous than temperatures around 10K is that most substances have already lost all their heat capacity at 10K. (Boiling helium is an exception, in that is has a significant enthalpy of vaporization at 4.2K)

I wonder if low temperature experiments at a tiny fraction of a Kelvin could be dangerous.
Could a vacuum decay occur if you lower the temperature of a confined space sufficiently?

Air at low temperatures could turn liquid which would be a possible fire hazard with the highly concentrated Oxygen present.

stuart1 said:
I wonder if low temperature experiments at a tiny fraction of a Kelvin could be dangerous.
Could a vacuum decay occur if you lower the temperature of a confined space sufficiently?

We've gotten things REALLY REALLY cold already. The record is 100 picokelvins, 0.0000000001 k.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero#Very_low_temperatures

I wouldn't worry.
There's no way you can possibly come into contact with something less than a kelvin.

It wouldn't survive long enough for you to touch it.

stuart1 said:

I am waiting for the OP to come back and produce the references to the physics of "vacuum decay". If not this is a "When did you stop beating your wife?" question, and this thread will be closed.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I am waiting for the OP to come back and produce the references to the physics of "vacuum decay". If not this is a "When did you stop beating your wife?" question, and this thread will be closed.

Zz.

Oh!
I didn't realize...
The guy is worried about them crazy scientists messing with the universe?

1. Is low temperature physics dangerous to work with?

No, low temperature physics is not inherently dangerous. However, handling extremely cold temperatures can be hazardous if proper safety precautions are not followed.

2. Can low temperature experiments cause physical harm?

Yes, exposure to extremely low temperatures can cause frostbite or other physical injuries. It is important for scientists to wear protective gear and handle materials with care when working with low temperatures.

3. What safety measures are in place for low temperature experiments?

Safety measures for low temperature experiments include proper training for researchers, use of protective gear such as gloves and goggles, and the use of specialized equipment designed for handling low temperatures.

4. Are there any risks associated with cryogenic liquids used in low temperature physics?

Yes, cryogenic liquids such as liquid nitrogen and helium can be hazardous if not handled properly. These liquids can cause severe frostbite if they come in contact with skin, and can also displace oxygen in poorly ventilated areas.

5. What precautions should be taken when working with cryogenic liquids?

Some precautions to take when working with cryogenic liquids include wearing protective gear, using appropriate containers and storage systems, ensuring proper ventilation, and following established safety protocols for handling and disposing of these materials.