Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up

In summary, the person is looking for a transformer that can output 5 volts or more to power a DC-DC power converter to increase the voltage of their microhydro generator.
BabyHueyTAW
Ok, So my generator is producing ~1.5VAC. I need to step that up via transformer to no less than 5VAC max of 20VAC.
Ideas or links to components I can use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google search DIY transfomer. There are many sites offering adivce, lists of componenets, and sometimes calcuators.

a doorbell transformer ?

Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
a doorbell transformer ?
Think that would work? I have this set up, Need 5VAC to energize my conversion system, minimal current draw, maybe 5ma total.
Shown, is my AC/DC to DC step down (left) and my DC-DC step up.
Need to bump the input from my generator outputting 1.5VAC.
**End goal is charge a portable cell phone battery pack**
Converter1.jpg

Attachments

• Converter1.jpg
    Converter1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 452
Ahh! I think you're onto something there!
so a doorbell XFMR 120-16 is like a 7.5:1 ratio
So if i run it reverse, my 1.5 would become close to 12 out!
Or am I off the mark?

upload_2019-2-23_21-33-27.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-23_21-33-27.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-23_21-33-27.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 478
Likes BabyHueyTAW
Once again! y'all help me out of a pickle!

BabyHueyTAW said:
Ok, So my generator is producing ~1.5VAC. I need to step that up via transformer to no less than 5VAC max of 20VAC.

Perhaps I am missing something but to me it looks like you want to create energy out of nothing.

Borek said:
Perhaps I am missing something but to me it looks like you want to create energy out of nothing.
Sounds like his generator (from microhydro maybe?) generates a pretty low AC voltage, and he needs to step it up efficiently before running his DC-DC power converter. Seems okay from an overall energy standpoint.
BabyHueyTAW said:
So my generator is producing ~1.5VAC.
At what frequency or range of frequencies?

Likes jim hardy
berkeman said:
At what frequency or range of frequencies?

great observation.
i'd completely forgot his generator has up&down motion not round& round.
So frequency might be too low for a household transformer.

A 16 volt transformer will support 1.6 volts down to about 6 hz.
Volts per Hertz ratio is a constant for any particular core.

berkeman said:
Sounds like his generator (from microhydro maybe?) generates a pretty low AC voltage, and he needs to step it up efficiently before running his DC-DC power converter. Seems okay from an overall energy standpoint.

Probably my understanding of what VAC exactly means is wrong. Is it V AC (voltage of active current) or VA*Cos(φ) (power)? Or even something else?

Borek said:
Probably my understanding of what VAC exactly means is wrong. Is it V AC (voltage of active current) or VA*Cos(φ) (power)? Or even something else?
Volts AC, or AC volts. Alternating current.

Edit: As opposed to VDC, or DC Volts.

Likes davenn and Borek

1. What is "Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up"?

"Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up" refers to a type of electrical transformer that is used to increase the voltage of an alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC) power source. This is commonly used in electronic devices to convert low voltage power to a higher voltage for efficient use.

2. How does a Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up transformer work?

A step up transformer works by using two separate coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary coils. The primary coil is connected to the input voltage source, while the secondary coil is connected to the output. The transformer uses electromagnetic induction to increase the voltage in the secondary coil, while decreasing the current. This results in a higher voltage output with the same amount of power.

3. What are the advantages of using a Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up transformer?

One of the main advantages of using a step up transformer is that it allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances. This is because higher voltage can travel longer distances with less power loss. Additionally, step up transformers are commonly used in electronic devices to convert low voltage power to a higher voltage for better performance.

4. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with using a Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up transformer?

As with any electrical equipment, there are potential risks associated with using a step up transformer. These include electric shock, fire hazards, and damage to the transformer if not used properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and proper installation procedures when using a step up transformer.

5. How do I choose the right Low Voltage AC-AC or AC-DC Step Up transformer for my needs?

The right transformer for your needs will depend on the specific voltage and power requirements of your device or system. It is important to carefully consider the input and output voltage, current, and power ratings of the transformer before making a decision. It is also recommended to consult with a qualified electrician or engineer for assistance in selecting the appropriate transformer for your needs.