AC/DC Switch Ratings for Motor Control: Which Rating to Use?

In summary, the question is whether to use the AC or DC ratings of a switch when figuring out the ratings needed for a motor running off bridge-rectified mains voltage. The difference between AC and DC switch ratings is that the lack of a zero voltage/current in DC diminishes the ability of the arc to break, making DC ratings lower. However, in this case, since there is still a zero voltage/current, the AC ratings can be used. It's always better to overspecify, and it's recommended to contact company representatives for specific product questions. If the switch is placed on the AC side of the bridge, use the AC rating. If it's on the DC side, use the DC rating, but the bridge acts as
mdjensen22
I have a motor that is running off bridge-rectified mains voltage. There are no filtering capacitors across the rectifier output.

When figuring the ratings needed for any switches in series with the motor, would I use the AC or DC ratings of the switch?

My understanding is the biggest difference in the ratings between AC and DC switching for contacts is that the lack of a zero voltage/current diminishes the ability of the arc to break, hence why DC switching ratings are less than the AC ratings for a given set of contacts.

However, in this application, I still have the zero voltage/current so therefore I think I can use the AC ratings. Am I correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you intend to use it for AC purposes then use the AC switch ratings. However, it's always better to overspecify the ratings even if it means spending a little bit more money. I recommend contacting company representatives directly with questions regarding their products.

If you place the switch in the AC line to the bridge you can use its AC rating.

If you have it on the DC side use its DC rating. Even though your applied DC voltage voltage dips to zero twice per cycle , the motor's inductance maintains current and the bridge acts like a flywheel diode..

Draw yourself a full wave bridge with inductive load and observe how the bridge completes a current loop for inductive "kick". But that feature really eases things for ths switch if it's on AC side of bridge.

Better safe than sorry.

Jim, that was awesome as always.

Well golly, md, thanks for the kind words !

Hope your project works out smooth .

old jim

1. What is an AC/DC switch rating?

An AC/DC switch rating is a measure of the maximum voltage and current that a switch is designed to handle. It specifies the range of electrical power that the switch can safely control.

2. How is the AC/DC switch rating determined?

The AC/DC switch rating is determined by the design and construction of the switch, as well as the materials and components used. It is also tested and certified by regulatory agencies to ensure safety and compliance with industry standards.

3. What are the consequences of using a switch with a lower rating than required?

Using a switch with a lower rating than required can lead to overheating, malfunction, and potential hazards such as electrical fires or damage to equipment. It is important to always use a switch with the appropriate rating for the intended application.

4. Can a switch with a higher rating be used instead?

Using a switch with a higher rating than required can also lead to problems. It may result in unnecessary costs and may not be compatible with the rest of the circuit or equipment. It is best to use a switch with the exact rating needed for the specific application.

5. Are there different types of AC/DC switch ratings?

Yes, there are different types of AC/DC switch ratings, such as the maximum current rating, maximum voltage rating, and maximum power rating. It is important to consider all of these factors when selecting the appropriate switch for a specific application.