1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lower and Upper Riemann sums of sin(x)

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1

Task in real analysis:
    P is a uniform partition on [0, π] and is divided into 6 equal subintervals. Show that the lower and upper riemann sums of sin (x) over P is lesser than 1.5 and larger than 2.4 respectively.

My attempt at the solution:
    The greates value and the least value of sin x over an subinterval (xi- xi-1) is 1 and -1. The upper and lower riemann sums is then:
    upper sum: S(P) = ∑i=16 (xi- xi-1) = x6 - x0 = π
    Lower sum: s(P) = - i=16 (xi- xi-1) = -π

From this one could say that S(P) > 2.4 and s(P) < 1.5, but i dont feel like this is a full answer to the problem and i dont see another approach to solving the problem, so if anyone could give me some clue or tips it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Those are not the correct values for the upper and lower sums.

Let [itex]M_i = \sup\{ f(x) : x_{i-1} \leq x \leq x_i\}[/itex] and [itex]m_i = \inf \{ f(x) : x_{i-1} \leq x \leq x_i \}[/itex]. Then [tex]
    S(P) = \sum_{i=1}^6 M_i(x_i - x_{i-1}), \\
    s(P) = \sum_{i=1}^6 m_i(x_i - x_{i-1}).
    [/tex] What are the maximum and minimum values of [itex]\sin x[/itex] when [itex]\frac{(i-1)\pi}6 = x_{i-1} \leq x \leq \frac{i\pi}6 = x_i[/itex]? They aren't all 1 and -1 respectively (aside from anything else, [itex]\sin(x) \geq 0[/itex] for [itex]x \in [0, \pi][/itex]).

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    Thank you for replying. I saw that myself a while ago and found what the maximum and minimum value of sin x over each of the 6 subintervals such that the upper sum sin x over partition P should be:
    S(P) = ∑i=16 Δx ⋅max(sinx)i = (π/6) ⋅(1/2 + √3/2 + 1 + 1 + √3/2 + 1/2) = (π/6) ⋅ (3 + √3) ≈ 2,47 > 2,4
    and similar for the lower sum:
    s(P) = (π/6) ⋅ (1 + √3) ≈ 1,43 < 1,5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted