Lower Division Linear Algebra Vs Upper Divison?

In summary, the difference between lower division linear algebra and upper division linear algebra depends on the school. At some universities, lower division is focused on applications and only covers basic matrix algebra, while upper division delves into vector spaces and proofs. At other schools, both courses cover similar topics, but the upper division course has a stronger emphasis on rigor and proofs. Overall, linear algebra covers topics such as matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, vector spaces, and eigenvalues, but the level of depth and focus may vary depending on the course and school.
MathWarrior
What is the difference between lower division linear algebra and upper division linear algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
At my university, lower division LA is basically Matrix algebra and an intro to set theory and notation and that sort of stuff. I suppose the major difference where I attend is rigor and proof.

It depends on your school. Some schools have two linear algebra courses - one that focused on proofs and another that focused on applications. Other schools have a linear algebra sequence where the first class is spent on reducing matrices, finding eigenvalues, etc and the second course picks up at linear vector spaces.

At my school, the lower division class is basically matrix algebra. The upper division class is basically the same, except in the context of vector spaces and with all results proven. The upper division class is meant to be an introduction to proofs as well.

It is indeed very likely that lower division is just matrix algebra and upper division is vector spaces and stuff.

Perhaps you could post the course contents to be sure??

micromass said:
Perhaps you could post the course contents to be sure??
Solving linear systems, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, bases, linear transformations, eigenvectors, norms, inner products, decompositions, applications.

Vs

Introduces matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, vector spaces, linear transformations, and eigenvalues.

Last edited:
Upper division is the same thing without the torture instruments. From my point of view, anyway. Actually, I have no idea, I'm just goofing off.

But the point is that if you just look at it from a matrix point of view without vector spaces, it's really awful stuff (if you're one of the people who likes to actually understand things). That was what my first linear algebra class was like, until we got to the end, but by then, it was too late. I didn't really learn linear algebra until I took analysis or maybe when I read visual complex analysis. Somewhere in there.

My schools LD linear is matrix algebra, inverses, determinants, vector spaces, inner product spaces, eigenvalue problems, least squares, spectral theorem and a couple other things I forget.

UD is still not proof oriented here but, at least when I took it, it was mostly on infinite dimensional vector spaces.

lower division (undergraduate) at where I went: matrix stuff, transformations, vector spaces, eigenvalues, determinants, systems of ODEs, intro to fourier, and complex vector spaces.

upper division (graduate) was: review of real/complex vector spaces and transformations, then isomorphisms, modules, metric spaces, hilbert spaces, and tensors. Abstract algebra was a prerequisite. Corequisite was either real or complex analysis.

1. What is the difference between Lower Division Linear Algebra and Upper Division Linear Algebra?

Lower Division Linear Algebra is typically an introductory course that covers basic concepts and techniques of linear algebra, while Upper Division Linear Algebra is a more advanced course that delves deeper into the subject and may cover more complex topics and applications.

2. Do I need to take both Lower Division and Upper Division Linear Algebra?

It depends on your academic and career goals. Lower Division Linear Algebra is usually a prerequisite for Upper Division Linear Algebra, so if you plan on majoring in a field that requires advanced knowledge of linear algebra, then taking both courses is recommended. However, if you only need a basic understanding of linear algebra, then one course may be sufficient.

3. Is Upper Division Linear Algebra more difficult than Lower Division Linear Algebra?

This can vary depending on the individual and the specific courses, but in general, Upper Division Linear Algebra is considered more challenging because it covers more advanced topics and may require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. What topics are typically covered in Lower Division Linear Algebra and Upper Division Linear Algebra?

In Lower Division Linear Algebra, you can expect to learn about vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, and basic operations such as addition, multiplication, and inversion. In Upper Division Linear Algebra, you may cover topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications to fields such as physics and engineering.

5. How can I prepare for Upper Division Linear Algebra if I have only taken Lower Division Linear Algebra?

If you plan on taking Upper Division Linear Algebra, it is important to have a strong foundation in the concepts covered in Lower Division Linear Algebra. You can review your notes and textbooks from the previous course, as well as practice problems and seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed. It may also be helpful to brush up on your algebra skills and familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of vector spaces and linear transformations.