What Is the Correct Method to Find the LCM of 12 and 56?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Casio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary: Of course, there are other methods for calculating the least common multiple that do not require factorization. If you only have two numbers, one way to find their LCM is to divide the product of the numbers by their greatest common divisor:\[\mathrm{LCM}(a, b) = \frac{ab}{\mathrm{GCD}(a, b)}.\]Another quick algorithm that's easy to do mentally is to take successive multiples of the bigger number until you find one that is divisible by the other number(s). For example, to find the LCM of 12 and 56, we would take multiples of 56:\(
Casio1
I did actually think I had this off to a T sort of speak, but seems I have run into a problem and am now unsure?

Find the LCM of 12 and 56.

This is how I do them but if incorrect I would appreciate the correct notation being pointed out to me;)

12/2 = 6 My prime factors of 12 are therefore 2, 6

56/2 = 28, and 28/2 = 14, and 14/2 = 7

my prime factors are; 2, 6, 7, 14

My common factors being 2

my lowest common multiple being = 1176?

12/4 = 3, therefore 3,4

56/14 = 4 therefore 4,14

common factors are 4

Lowest common multiple is 3 x 4 x 14 = 168
:D
so I am assuming there is a specific notation (method) to finding the LCM's without mistakes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
my prime factors are; 2, 6, 7, 14

6 and 14 cannot be prime factors, for they are not prime!

\(12 = 2\cdot6 = 2\cdot2\cdot3 = 2^2\cdot3\)

\(56 = 2\cdot28 = 2\cdot2\cdot14=2\cdot2\cdot2\cdot7=2^3\cdot7\)

Now we take the highest power of each factor. Our least common multiple is therefore \(\mathrm{LCM}(12,56) = 2^3\cdot3\cdot7 = 168\).

Reckoner said:
6 and 14 cannot be prime factors, for they are not prime!

\(12 = 2\cdot6 = 2\cdot2\cdot3 = 2^2\cdot3\)

\(56 = 2\cdot28 = 2\cdot2\cdot14=2\cdot2\cdot2\cdot7=2^3\cdot7\)

Now we take the highest power of each factor. Our least common multiple is therefore \(\mathrm{LCM}(12,56) = 2^3\cdot3\cdot7 = 168\).

Thanks for point that out to me I completely missed that point, i.e. 14 is not a prime.

So should I take it then that the correct way to prime factorise intergers is to divide them always by prime numbers?

90 / 2 = 45, then 45 / 3 = 15, then 15 / 5 = 3

Casio said:
So should I take it then that the correct way to prime factorise intergers is to divide them always by prime numbers?

90 / 2 = 45, then 45 / 3 = 15, then 15 / 5 = 3
You can factor the integers however you like. The key is that you don't stop factoring until all the factors are prime. When you get to that point, you will have found the prime factorization of the integer, which is what we want.

So we could factor 90 as \(90 = 9\cdot10\), but we have to keep going, because 9 and 10 are not prime:

\(90 = 9\cdot10 = (3\cdot3)\cdot(2\cdot5) = 2\cdot3^2\cdot5\).

We stop here because 2, 3, and 5 are all prime.Of course, there are other methods for calculating the least common multiple that do not require factorization. If you only have two numbers, one way to find their LCM is to divide the product of the numbers by their greatest common divisor:

\[\mathrm{LCM}(a, b) = \frac{ab}{\mathrm{GCD}(a, b)}.\]

Another quick algorithm that's easy to do mentally is to take successive multiples of the bigger number until you find one that is divisible by the other number(s). For example, to find the LCM of 12 and 56, we would take multiples of 56:

\(56\cdot1 = 56\), which is not divisible by 12
\(56\cdot2 = 112\), which is not divisible by 12
\(56\cdot3 = 168\), which is divisible by 12. 168 is our least common multiple.

I would like to point out that there is indeed a specific method for finding the LCM without mistakes. It is called the "prime factorization method" and it involves breaking down each number into its prime factors and then finding the product of all the unique prime factors. In this case, the LCM of 12 and 56 would be 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 7 = 168. It is important to note that the LCM is the smallest number that is divisible by both 12 and 56, so it cannot be higher than 168. I would suggest double checking your work and using the prime factorization method to ensure accuracy in finding the LCM.

Related to What Is the Correct Method to Find the LCM of 12 and 56?

What is the definition of Lowest Common Multiple (LCM)?

The lowest common multiple (LCM) of two or more integers is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by each of the numbers.

How is LCM calculated?

LCM can be calculated by finding the prime factors of each number and then multiplying the highest power of each prime factor together.

What is the difference between LCM and Greatest Common Divisor (GCD)?

LCM is the smallest multiple that two or more numbers have in common, while GCD is the largest number that divides evenly into two or more numbers.

Why is LCM important in mathematics?

LCM is important in mathematics because it is used in various applications such as simplifying fractions, finding equivalent fractions, and solving word problems involving multiple numbers.

Can LCM be used for more than two numbers?

Yes, LCM can be used for any number of integers. The process of finding the LCM for more than two numbers is the same as finding it for two numbers, but it may involve more steps.