Solving L^p, L^q Subset Inequalities in X Sets of Arbitrary Size

• Thread starter Edwinkumar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, 0 < p < q < \infty. If X contains sets of arbitrarily small positive measure, then L^p \nsubseteq L^q. To prove the other direction, we can use the fact that \int|g|<\infty consider E_n=\{x:|g(x)|>n\} and the condition that X does not contain sets of arbitrarily small measure to show that \int_{E_n}|f|^p\ge n\mu(E_n) and thus \mu(E_n)\to 0, which implies that f is bounded and X contains sets of arbitrarily small positive measure.
Edwinkumar
Suppose [tex]0 < p < q < \infty[/tex]. Then [tex]L^p \nsubseteq L^q[/tex] iff [tex]X[/tex] contains sets of arbitrarily small positive measure.

I have proved one part, namely, if [tex]X[/tex] contains sets of arbitrarily small positive measure then [tex]L^p \nsubseteq L^q[/tex]

Can anyone give some hints to solve the other part?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this? If [tex]\int|g|<\infty[/tex] consider [tex]E_n=\{x:|g(x)|>n\}[/tex].

Billy Bob said:
Try this? If [tex]\int|g|<\infty[/tex] consider [tex]E_n=\{x:|g(x)|>n\}[/tex].
I don't know how is the above trure.

We know only that there is a function [tex]f[/tex] in [tex]L^p[/tex] but not in [tex]L^q[/tex]. From this we have to show that [tex]X[/tex] contains sets of arbitrarily small measure.

Let f be in L^p and suppose X does not contain sets of arbitrarily small measure. Prove f is in L^q.

Intuitively, to show integral of |f|^q is finite, you have to show (1) |f| can't be too large, and (2) in the places where |f| is small, the integral is still finite.

Use my earlier hint to deal with (1). Either use g=f^p or g=f^q.

For (2), you'll simply use p<q.

Yes using the fact that [tex]p<q[/tex], I proved that [tex]\int |f|^q<\infty[/tex] on [tex]{|f|\le 1[/tex]
But I don't know how to make use of the fact the [tex]X[/tex] doesn't contain sets of arbitrarily small positive measure in proving (2).

Let f be in L^p and suppose X does not contain sets of arbitrarily small measure. Use the hint with g=f^p to prove |f| must be bounded.

But I don't know how to make use of the fact the X doesn't contain sets of arbitrarily small positive measure in proving (2).

You must mean (1), since you proved (2) already. The condition on X is only needed to prove (1).

Billy Bob said:
You must mean (1), since you proved (2) already. The condition on X is only needed to prove (1).
Yes absolutely.
Billy Bob said:
Let f be in L^p and suppose X does not contain sets of arbitrarily small measure. Use the hint with g=f^p to prove |f| must be bounded.

If [tex]E_n=\{x:|f(x)|^p>n\}[/tex] then [tex]E_n=\{x:|f(x)|>n^{1/p}\}[/tex] and [tex]E_1\subset E_2\subset...}[/tex]
Moreover, since [tex]X[/tex] does not contain sets of arbitrarily small measure, [tex]\exists \epsilon >0[/tex] s.t. [tex]\mu(E)\ge \epsilon[/tex] for all [tex]E\subset X[/tex]
From these facts I m unable to figure it out.
Thanks for your replies Billy Bob.

[tex]E_1\supset E_2\supset\dots[/tex]

Billy Bob said:
[tex]E_1\supset E_2\supset\dots[/tex]
yes absolutely..sorry. Then how..?

Suppose |f|^p was not bounded.

Consider [tex]\int_{E_n}|f|^p[/tex]

How small, in measure, can E_n get, anyway?

Thank you very much Billy Bob! I completely got it now.
[tex]\int_{E_n}|f|^p\ge n\mu(E_n)[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]\mu(E_n)\le 1/n\int_{E_n}|f|^p\le 1/n\int |f|^p[/tex]
So [tex]\mu(E_n)=0[/tex] for some n or [tex]\mu(E_n)\to 0[/tex]
The first one implies that [tex]f[/tex] is bounded and the second one implies X contains sets of arbitrarily small positive measures.
Am I right?

Edwinkumar said:
Am I right?

Very nice

1. What is the purpose of solving L^p, L^q subset inequalities in X sets of arbitrary size?

The purpose of solving L^p, L^q subset inequalities in X sets of arbitrary size is to find the optimal solution to a problem by minimizing the distance between two sets, while also taking into account the size and structure of the sets. This can be applied to various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering.

2. How do you determine the values of p and q in the L^p, L^q subset inequalities?

The values of p and q in the L^p, L^q subset inequalities are determined based on the specific problem and the properties of the sets involved. Typically, p and q are chosen such that they satisfy certain conditions, such as being greater than or equal to 1 and being reciprocals of each other.

3. What are some common techniques for solving L^p, L^q subset inequalities?

Some common techniques for solving L^p, L^q subset inequalities include using linear programming, convex optimization, and duality theory. Other approaches may involve using algorithms such as the simplex method or interior point methods.

4. Can L^p, L^q subset inequalities be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, L^p, L^q subset inequalities can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as economics, data analysis, and signal processing. These inequalities provide a useful framework for optimizing solutions and finding the best possible outcomes for a given problem.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations when solving L^p, L^q subset inequalities in X sets of arbitrary size?

Some potential challenges or limitations when solving L^p, L^q subset inequalities in X sets of arbitrary size include computational complexity, difficulty in determining the appropriate values of p and q, and the need for efficient algorithms to solve the problem. Additionally, the practical application of these inequalities may also depend on the availability and accuracy of data.