LTSpice IV simulation speed adjustments

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with the simulation speed of their dc/dc switching power supplies in LTSpice IV. They have noticed that the simulation speed in the "astable" example is much faster than their own circuit. Despite searching for a way to adjust the simulation speed, they have not been successful. They also observed that changing the circuit slightly can greatly affect the simulation speed. The speaker wonders if the simulation speed in "transient analysis" is dependent on the shape of the curve and cannot be manually adjusted.
ElectroPhysics
Hi everybody. how r u.
i'm using linear technology's LTSpice IV to simulate my dc/dc switching power supplies. for that I'm using the chips from the same company. the problem is that when i simulate the circuit using LTSpice IV the simulation speed that it shows is only 25microsecond/s which is too slow and i have to wait for a lot of time for the simulation to end. when i searched examples given in this software such as "astable" the simulation speed there is 145milisecond/s which is very good. i have tried my best to solve this issue i.e. by searching every menu given in the software but could not find "simulation speed" button/form. please tell me how to adjust the simulation speed for my circuits.

Engineering news on Phys.org
another thing that i noted in "astable" example that if i change the circuit slightly i.e. for example connecting a 200uF capacitor to the monitored output, the simulation speed shoots from 145miliseconds/s to hundreds of second/s as when the curve become flat. Does it conclude that simulation speed in "transient analysis" is curve dependent and can not be adjusted by will?

1. What is the purpose of adjusting simulation speed in LTSpice IV?

Simulation speed adjustments in LTSpice IV allow for faster or slower simulation times, depending on the user's needs. This can be helpful for optimizing circuit designs, troubleshooting, and reducing simulation time for larger and more complex circuits.

2. How do I adjust the simulation speed in LTSpice IV?

To adjust simulation speed in LTSpice IV, go to the "Simulate" menu and select "Edit Simulation Command". In the pop-up window, change the value for the "Step" field to adjust the time step size, or the "Max Step Time" field to adjust the maximum time step. Click "OK" to save the changes.

3. What is the default simulation speed in LTSpice IV?

The default simulation speed in LTSpice IV is determined by the time step size and maximum time step values specified in the "Step" and "Max Step Time" fields in the "Edit Simulation Command" window. These values can be changed to adjust the default simulation speed.

4. Will adjusting simulation speed affect the accuracy of my results in LTSpice IV?

Yes, adjusting the simulation speed in LTSpice IV can affect the accuracy of the results. A higher simulation speed may result in less accurate results, while a slower simulation speed will produce more accurate results. It is important to strike a balance between simulation speed and accuracy for reliable results.

5. Are there any other methods for improving simulation speed in LTSpice IV?

Yes, there are other methods for improving simulation speed in LTSpice IV. These include using the "Fast Access Mode" option, reducing the number of data points in the simulation, and optimizing the circuit design to reduce simulation time. Additionally, using a more powerful computer or increasing the RAM can also improve simulation speed.