Luminosity Conversion Question

• Thread starter alexa179
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Luminosity
In summary, the conversation is about converting 290mcd to candelas/meter square. The person asking for help is unsure if the conversion is possible and is asking for additional information to make the conversion. Another person suggests using the equation E=\frac{I}{r^2}cos \alpha to calculate the luminance at a given point on a surface from a source with a given luminous intensity and distance.
alexa179
Could someone help me out with a conversion question.

How do you convert 290mcd to candelas/meter square?
Or what additional information do I need to make the converstion?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If "mcd" means milicandela then a "conversion" between these two quantities is impossible. I think you have to compute the luminance E (in cd/m^2) at a given point on a surface from a source with a given luminous intensity I (in cd). If this is the case, the equation you need is
[tex]E=\frac{I}{r^2}cos \alpha[/tex]
with r the distance from the source to the point and \alpha the incidence angle (measured from the normal direction).

To convert from millicandelas (mcd) to candelas/meter square, you would need to know the area over which the luminosity is being measured. This is because candelas/meter square is a measurement of luminous intensity per unit area. Once you have the area, you can use the formula:

Candelas/meter square = mcd / (area in square meters)

For example, if the area being measured is 1 square meter, the conversion would be:

Candelas/meter square = 290mcd / (1m^2) = 290 candelas/meter square

If you are unsure of the area, you may need to consult a measurement device or refer to the specifications of the light source in question. I hope this helps!

What is luminosity conversion?

Luminosity conversion is the process of converting the amount of light emitted by an object into a standardized unit of measurement. This unit is often expressed in watts or solar luminosities.

Why is luminosity conversion important?

Understanding the luminosity of an object is crucial in many areas of scientific research. It allows us to compare the brightness of different objects and make accurate measurements of their energy output.

What is the formula for luminosity conversion?

The formula for luminosity conversion is L = 4πR^2σT^4, where L is luminosity, R is the radius of the object, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the object in Kelvin.

What are some common uses of luminosity conversion?

Luminosity conversion is commonly used in astronomy to measure the brightness of stars and other celestial objects. It is also used in physics and engineering to measure the output of light sources and energy-producing systems.

Are there any limitations to luminosity conversion?

While luminosity conversion is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the object is a perfect blackbody radiator, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account factors such as absorption and scattering of light, which can affect the measured luminosity.