Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lyapunov Theory: Please Help

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Lyapunov Theory: Please Help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the origin x=0 is globally asymptotically stable equilibrium point of the system then it must be the _________ equilibrium point of the system.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

This is an objective/one word answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2
    Re: Lyapunov Theory

I have around 50 such objective questions for the assignments. I am done with 40 plus, but a few of these are haunting ms and i am not sure about them! Any help is highly appreciated!

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Lyapunov Theory: Please Help!!!

Hint: If the point x=0 is a "globally asymptotically stable equilibrium point", what happens as you approach x=0 from any direction, from any starting point? Can there be any other equilibrium points?

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

1. I believe that if the point x=0 is a "globally asymptotically stable equilibrium point" then if we approach x=0 from any direction then it will converge to equilibrium point. Am I right?

2. According to me, there is no other equilibrium point.

Please let me know if i am right?

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

sounds right to me! :smile:

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

So, the blank should be "only". Just wanted to confirm if it is what you want to say.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook