1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lyapunov Theory: Please Help

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Lyapunov Theory: Please Help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the origin x=0 is globally asymptotically stable equilibrium point of the system then it must be the _________ equilibrium point of the system.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

This is an objective/one word answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2
    Re: Lyapunov Theory

I have around 50 such objective questions for the assignments. I am done with 40 plus, but a few of these are haunting ms and i am not sure about them! Any help is highly appreciated!

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Lyapunov Theory: Please Help!!!

Hint: If the point x=0 is a "globally asymptotically stable equilibrium point", what happens as you approach x=0 from any direction, from any starting point? Can there be any other equilibrium points?

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

1. I believe that if the point x=0 is a "globally asymptotically stable equilibrium point" then if we approach x=0 from any direction then it will converge to equilibrium point. Am I right?

2. According to me, there is no other equilibrium point.

Please let me know if i am right?

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

sounds right to me! :smile:

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

So, the blank should be "only". Just wanted to confirm if it is what you want to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?