1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lz and L^2 are commuting operators

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the definitions of Lz and L^2, show that these two operators commute.

2. Relevant equations
    Lz = -ih_bar * d/d(phi)
    L^2 = -(h_bar)^2 {1/sin(theta) * d/d(theta) * [sin(theta) * d/d(theta)] + 1/sin^2(theta) d^2/d(phi)^2}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm actually not too sure how to begin this. If someone can show me an example of commuting operators that is a bit complex, that would definitely help. My professor only gave us a simple example, which is why I'm confused with this one. Thanks for your help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex][L^2,L_z]=0[/itex] (that is L^2 and L_z commute), what can you say about [itex]L^2(L_z\psi)[/itex] and [itex]L_z(L^2\psi)[/itex] for any wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex]?

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]x\partial_x[/tex] and [tex]y\partial_y[/tex] commute because
    [tex]x\partial_x ( y\partial_y ( f) ) = y\partial_y ( x\partial_x (f)) [/tex] for any function f.

On the other hand, [tex]x\partial_y[/tex] does not commute with [tex]y\partial_x[/tex]

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4
    gabba, I would say that LaTeX Code: L^2(L_z\\psi) and LaTeX Code: L_z(L^2\\psi) for any wavefunction LaTeX Code: \\psi would be equivalent.

My problem is more with doing the problem. Do I do the product rule when it comes to -h_bar^2 * 1/sin(theta) * d/d(theta), or is -h_bar^2 pulled out to the front and I just take the derivative of 1/sin(theta)?

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, -h_bar^2 is a constant isn't it.....don't you always pull the constants out when taking a derivative?

Why don't you post an attempt and I'll see where you might be going wrong....

7. Feb 23, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

constants shouldn't matter in differentiation and keep in mind a phi partial derivative means theta is kept constant for teh dervative

might help to remember that the partial derivative cross terms are the same for continuous & differentiable functions ie

for f(u,v) then fuv = fvu

(what are the exact conditions for this to apply?)

So maybe make some assumtions about the wavefunction continuity & its derivatives etc...

8. Feb 23, 2009 #7
    this is what i have...
    Lz(L^2) = ih_bar^3 * {[1/cos(theta) (sin(theta)) + (cos(theta))*1/sin(theta)] + 1/sin^2(theta)}
    simplified...ih_bar^3 [sin(theta)/cos(theta) + cos(theta)/sin(theta) + 1/sin^2(theta)]

I did the exact same thing for L^2(Lz), but I realize that making a mistake for each of these will result in the same answer.

9. Feb 23, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This makes no sense :confused:

[itex]L_z[/itex] and [itex]L^2[/itex] are differential operators, so their product should be as well. You should have [tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi \partial \theta}[/tex] terms in your expression for [itex]L_z(L^2)[/itex].

10. Feb 23, 2009 #9
    how do i work with 1/sin(theta)d/d(theta) * (sin(theta)d/d(theta)) part?

11. Feb 23, 2009 #10
    do you use the product rule or are they two totally different derivations?

12. Feb 23, 2009 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the product rule!

For example,

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[f(y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(g(y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)\right]=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[f(y)g'(y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+f(y)g(y)\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}\right]=f(y)g'(y)\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}+f(y)g(y)\frac{\partial^3}{\partial x \partial y^2}[/tex]

13. Feb 24, 2009 #12
    2nd time's a charm?
    -i*(h_bar)^3 [ cos(theta)/sin(theta) * d^2/d(theta)^2 + d^3/d(theta)^3 + 1/sin^2(theta) * d^3/d^3(theta)

why is it that it's d/dx [ f(y)g'(y) d/dy + f(y)g(y)d^2/dy^2] instead of
    d/dx [ f(y)g'(y) d/dy + f'(y)g(y)d^2/dy^2]? (i added in an f ' to the second part. it might be hard to tell with this font.) i thought you said product rule. could you explain?

14. Feb 24, 2009 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because d/dy acts only on the product g(y) d/dy....it doesn't act on f(y)-which comes before the operator.

And 2nd time is definitely not the charm....sorry::frown:....theta and phi are independent variables....but all I see is theta derivatives in your expression...what happened to the phi derivatives?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook