Can More Vectors Than Dimensions Be Linearly Independent?

• Thread starter choob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, if a set of m vectors in n dimensions is linearly independent, then n must be greater than or equal to m. This can be proven by assuming that m is greater than n and showing that this leads to a contradiction. By choosing a vector that is not in a subset of n vectors, it can be shown that this subset is also linearly independent, contradicting the assumption that the original set of m vectors is linearly independent. Therefore, n must be greater than or equal to m in order for the set to be linearly independent.
choob

Homework Statement

prove, if S has m vectors in n dimensions and S is linearly independent, then n>=m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've come up with:

there is no combination of vectors in S such that their sum is the zero vector,

there exists a vector which cannot be expressed in terms of a linear combination of other vectors

so I've started to assume that m>n (contradiction method)
however I am stuck here.

im thinking of saying that if m>n, then there are more equations than unknowns in the system, but i don't know if that is helpful, and I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
choob said:

Homework Statement

prove, if S has m vectors in n dimensions and S is linearly independent, then n>=m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've come up with:

there is no combination of vectors in S such that their sum is the zero vector,
I hope you mean "except the trivial combination with all coefficients equal to 0"!

there exists a vector which cannot be expressed in terms of a linear combination of other vectors
It's not clear to me what this means. What vectors are you talking about? Any vector can be expressed as a linear combination of some other vectors!

so I've started to assume that m>n (contradiction method)
however I am stuck here.

im thinking of saying that if m>n, then there are more equations than unknowns in the system, but i don't know if that is helpful, and I am stuck.
I have no idea what "equations" you are talking about. The problem said there were m vectors, not m equations.

Since the set of m vectors is linearly independent, any subset is also linearly indepependent. In particular, if m> n, then any subset of n vectors is linearly independent and so a basis. Now choose a vector in the set, v, that is NOT in that subset (which you can do since m> n). It can be written as a linear combination of the n basis vectors and you can use that to show that that subset of n+1 vectors, v together with the original n vector subset, that is NOT independent, a contradiction.

the equations correspond to the matrix which has to be reduced to give the coefficients for each vector, such that their sum is zero, if the system is linearly independent

other than that, ill post again later when i can wrap my head around what you said at the end haha

edit:

what i meant in that there exists a vector which cannot be expressed in terms of the other vectors in that set, is that if there exists v1+v2+..+v3=v4, where all those v's are vectors, then the system would be linearly dependent, because v4-(v1+v2+..+v3)=0

Last edited:

1. What are "M equations, n unknowns"?

"M equations, n unknowns" refers to a system of equations where there are M equations and n unknown variables. It is a common mathematical problem that is used to solve for multiple unknown quantities.

2. How do you solve "M equations, n unknowns"?

The most common method for solving "M equations, n unknowns" is by using techniques such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate and solve for each unknown variable.

3. What is the importance of "M equations, n unknowns" in science?

"M equations, n unknowns" is important in science because it allows for the analysis and prediction of complex systems. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.

4. Can "M equations, n unknowns" have more than one solution?

Yes, "M equations, n unknowns" can have multiple solutions. In fact, for a system of equations to have a unique solution, the number of equations must be equal to the number of unknowns. If there are more equations than unknowns, there can be multiple solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using "M equations, n unknowns" to solve problems?

One limitation of using "M equations, n unknowns" is that it can become computationally complex as the number of equations and unknowns increases. Additionally, it is not always possible to find a solution for every system of equations, especially if the equations are contradictory or inconsistent.