M.S. comp science -> Physics PhD?

In summary, the speaker is finishing up their B.S. in Computer Science with a minor in physics, but has a low GPA and little academic research experience. They plan to attend an M.S. program in computational science at George Mason and are wondering if this will make them eligible for PhD programs in physics. However, it is generally required to have a bachelor's degree in physics with a GPA of at least 3.0 to enter a PhD program. The speaker's minor in physics is not likely enough to meet this requirement. They are directed to an article for more information.
CyberShot
Finishing up my B.S. in Computer Science, with a minor in physics. My GPA is only about 2.5 and very little academic research experience. Yea, I agree I messed up. But I'm fixing things now, reading up hard and practicing for GRE.

I plan to attend George Mason's computational science M.S. program. Can I get accepted into PhD programs in physics with an M.S. in computational science?

I know computational science is a "vague" topic and may not convince admissions faculty. I'm hoping my small background in physics would also help.

Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually to enter into a PhD program in physics, you need a bachelor's degree in physics with a GPA of at least 3.0, but most often it's higher than than that because it's a competative process.

A minor in physics usually won't cut it.

FAQ: M.S. comp science -> Physics PhD?

1. What is the difference between a Master's degree in Computer Science and a PhD in Physics?

A Master's degree in Computer Science is typically a more focused and specialized program that prepares students for careers in software development, data analysis, or other computer-related fields. A PhD in Physics, on the other hand, is a research-oriented degree that delves deeper into theoretical and experimental concepts in physics and prepares students for careers in academia or research.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a background in Computer Science?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with a background in Computer Science. However, it may require additional coursework in physics and mathematics to bridge any knowledge gaps and prepare for the rigorous research demands of a PhD program in physics.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Physics after completing a Master's degree in Computer Science?

With a PhD in Physics, you can pursue a career in academia as a professor or researcher, or in industry as a data scientist, computer scientist, or in other fields that require a strong understanding of physics and mathematics.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Physics after obtaining a Master's degree in Computer Science?

The timeline for completing a PhD in Physics after a Master's degree in Computer Science can vary depending on the individual and the program. On average, it can take 4-6 years to complete a PhD program in physics.

5. Are there any specific research areas in Physics that would benefit from a background in Computer Science?

There are several areas of research in Physics that would benefit from a background in Computer Science, such as computational physics, quantum computing, and data analysis in high-energy physics or astrophysics. Additionally, a strong understanding of computer science can also be applied in various interdisciplinary fields, such as biophysics or materials science.