Magnet pole question in generation

In summary, if a coil is exposed to a moving magnetic field with only north poles, it will produce an AC voltage.
Quix270
What would happen if a coil it’s exposed to a moving magnetic field with only north poles? Coils being exposed to only North Pole. Will produce alternate current or nothing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Quix270 said:
What would happen if a coil it’s exposed to a moving magnetic field with only north poles? Coils being exposed to only North Pole. Will produce alternate current or nothing?
What is a "magnetic field with only north poles" ? Sounds like a unicorn to me.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
What is a "magnetic field with only north poles" ? Sounds like a unicorn to me.
What would happen if a coil is exposed to North Pole of magnet who are in movement?

Quix270 said:
What would happen if a coil is exposed to North Pole of magnet who are in movement?
You did not answer my question. Again, what is a "magnetic field with only north poles" ? Sounds like a unicorn to me.

Quix270 said:

Try to sketch what you mean and attach an image to your post. As @phinds signaled your statement now doesn't make physical sense so most likely there is some misunderstanding somewhere.

Likes davenn
Quix270 said:
Putting on my mind-reading hat for a moment, maybe the OP means what would happen if a number of bar magnets were joined together mechanically like a picket fence:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wAPPFtMwL._SX425_.jpg
1565017894848.png

With all the "N" poles at the top. Then run the top of the fence left-to-right past a horizontal pickup coil to see what the induced voltage would be.

@Quix270 -- if this is what you mean, you will still get an AC pickup voltage induced in the coil, but it will be smaller than if the full "N" - "S" - "N" poles were run past the coil. The induced pickup voltage is proportional to the change in the flux through the coil area, so if you are just doing "N" - <zero> - "N" changes in the flux, that will be around half of what you can get if you change the flux all the way in each cycle N-S-N.

Look at the graph below and imagine it is the flux through the coil. Instead of going a full amplitude plus-to-minus, it is changing less because it is mostly one-sided. If it were the flux due to a full N-S-N changing flux, the amplitude of the change in the flux would be larger and evenly distributed above and below the zero line.

Does that help?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/63/2e/6d/632e6ddab778fd995fc718b62b74b28c.png
1565018193308.png

berkeman said:
Putting on my mind-reading hat for a moment
Ah, you optimist you :smile:

Likes berkeman

1. What is a magnet pole?

A magnet pole is one of the two ends of a magnet, where the magnetic field is the strongest. There are two types of poles: the north pole and the south pole.

2. How are magnet poles created?

Magnet poles are created when a magnetic material, such as iron or nickel, is magnetized. This can happen through exposure to a strong magnetic field or by rubbing the material against a magnet.

3. How do magnet poles affect electricity generation?

Magnet poles play a crucial role in electricity generation. When a magnet is moved near a wire, it creates a magnetic field that induces an electric current in the wire. This is the principle behind generators and electric motors.

4. Can the polarity of magnet poles be changed?

Yes, the polarity of magnet poles can be changed by exposing them to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction. This process is known as demagnetization.

5. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet has a consistent magnetic field and does not require an external source of energy to maintain its magnetism. An electromagnet, on the other hand, only has a magnetic field when an electric current is flowing through it.