Magnet therapy and magnetic blood

In summary, the conversation is about the plausibility of magnetic bracelets having healing potential for conditions like arthritis. The speaker's friends believe that magnets can redirect blood flow because iron in blood is magnetic. The speaker disagrees and uses the example of MRI scanners to prove their point. The speaker also shares that magnet therapy is considered pseudoscience and the American Cancer Society does not support its claims. The conversation ends with the speaker stating that their friends' logic is illogical.
Wanda1989
Hello, Newbie here. Guess this is going to be a pretty odd first post.

I've recently been having a discussion with a few friends, regarding whether it's plausible that magnetic bracelets could have any form of healing potential (for arthritis and similar conditions). To me, my friends lack of logic is hugely depressing, as I've been trying to explain to them that it's not plausible for magnets to have an effect on blood circulation. (Everyone else in the discussion was in favor of using magnets to redirect blood flow, so my brain is now melting... )

They claim that the iron in blood is magnetic, therefore can be directed to certain locations within the body by use of magnets. I've been trying to explain to them that if this were true, people would explode when placed in MRI scanners. And that since people do not explode when MRI'd, a tiny magnet will have zero impact upon blood flow.

Am I wrong? :confused: (Much to my regret, I didn't do Physics as a subject beyond GCSE - but I became a maths graduate instead). I'm aware that magnet therapy is considered pseudoscience, I just find it really depressing that nobody in the conversation understood exactly how implausible it was.

Would someone mind giving a better explanation of what would happen if blood were magnetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a word, “HOGWASH”. I have seen charlatans pass through towns in Central Brasil selling magnetic pillows, bracelets, toilet seats, and even mattresses. They convince poor uneducated folks these things will help cure all their ailments, take large sums of money from them and then disappear over the horizon, never to be seen again.

Do not be fooled by “pseudoscience”. Here’s what the American Cancer Society says:

“Although there are reports of individuals being healed by magnetic therapy, available scientific evidence does not support these claims. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers these magnets harmless and of no use for medical purposes.”
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...ine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/magnetic-therapy

Thanks for some sanity :)

It's a good thing this is nonsense, diverting blood sounds like a pretty dangerous thing to try and do!

They claim that the iron in blood is magnetic

Bulk iron is magnetic.

While hemoglobin exhibits diamagnetic or paramagnetic properties, this is not due to iron being part of the protein molecule, but is due to whether the blood is oxygenated or not.

So your friends' logic seems to be illogical

256bits said:
Bulk iron is magnetic.

While hemoglobin exhibits diamagnetic or paramagnetic properties, this is not due to iron being part of the protein molecule, but is due to whether the blood is oxygenated or not.

So your friends' logic seems to be illogical

Thanks, that's added another layer of illogic to their argument...

1. What is magnet therapy?

Magnet therapy, also known as magnetic field therapy or biomagnetic therapy, is a form of complementary and alternative medicine that uses magnets to treat various health conditions. It is based on the theory that magnets can improve blood flow and correct imbalances in the body's electromagnetic field.

2. How does magnet therapy work?

There are different theories on how magnet therapy works, but the most commonly accepted one is that the magnets create a magnetic field that can penetrate the body and affect the flow of ions and charged particles in the blood. This, in turn, can improve circulation, reduce inflammation, and promote healing in the affected area.

3. Can magnet therapy help with blood-related conditions?

Some people believe that magnet therapy can improve blood flow and circulation, which may benefit conditions such as high blood pressure, anemia, and poor circulation. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support these claims, and more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of magnet therapy for blood-related conditions.

4. Is magnet therapy safe?

In general, magnet therapy is considered safe for most people. However, it is not recommended for people with pacemakers, insulin pumps, or any other electronic implants, as the magnetic field may interfere with these devices. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any new treatment.

5. What are the potential benefits of using magnetic blood?

There is no scientific evidence to support the use of magnetic blood as a medical treatment. Some proponents claim that it can enhance the body's immune system, improve overall health, and even prevent diseases. However, there is no reliable scientific evidence to support these claims, and more research is needed to determine the potential benefits of magnetic blood.