Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic component of light, natural materials vs metamaterials

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Why is it that the magnetic component of light interacts more with metamaterials than with naturally occurring materials?

It would be nice to explain this in terms of inductance, permeability, and permittivity within SRR metamaterials.

I'm currently an undergraduate participating in research for the summer. I've only taken general physics 1 and 2, but please dont hesitate to give details that might be too advanced for me to understand. I plan on reading more about any details that I don't understand or have not learned yet.

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They don't have to interact "more" - as an example, metals can interact strongly with the magnetic component of light. Metamaterials often have small metallic elements, and they interact significantly with light, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook