Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic effect of electric current

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    I'm confused that what is the main difference between the magnetic field produced by electric current and the magnetic field produced by a real bar magnet? As per my knowledge the magnetic field of Current does not have any poles. Then how a solenoid and a bar magnet's magnetic field be similar?

I'm in FYJC Science

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there Karan

welcome to PF :smile:

really ? ... did you know ( as far as has been so far discovered) that magnetic monopoles don't exist ?
    therefore a N and S pole will exist is all magnetic fields

here's a link to typical solenoids ....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=magnetic+field+of+a+solenoid&FORM=HDRSC2

they all seem to have N and S poles to me :wink:

cheers
    Dave

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    Yes I know but i wanna say in a straight current carrying conductor whatever may be the direction of the current the magnetic field are circular non ending have a certain circular direction.ri8? Then hiw the field lines have poles?

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The field around a long straight wire does not have any poles.

6. Oct 10, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Dale's right. And neither does the field in a magnet. Here's a picture from the University of Delaware.

tip24-8a.gif

7. Oct 10, 2015 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Here's what I think..A current carrying solenoid is magnetically same as a bar magnet. But the magnetic field of a straight wire is circular around itself. When we say 'current carrying conductor', there must be one more conductor to provide closed path. This conductor will have current in the opposite direction. So practically its a current carrying loop or a one-turn solenoid. So it will look like the picture above in vanadium 50's reply. The circular field of wire is the field around the length of rectangular magnet in the above diagram.

8. Oct 10, 2015 #7
    I got u everyone. But let me consider a straight current carrying conductor.If current is flowing in upward direction and and we take a point anywhere like on the left side of conductor then at that point the magnetic field will be in upward direction then if i keep a magnetic needle there at that point then how and why the magnetic field of electric current will react to that magnetic needle. Basically I'm talking about the thing related to Biot savart law. If I understood this then i will be able to propose my question perfectly to you guys

9. Oct 10, 2015 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A straight wire is only an artificial construct. You always need a loop, however big, to get a current flowing in the wire and a loop will exhibit magnetic poles.

10. Oct 10, 2015 #9
    Can't i consider a Rectangular circuit?

11. Oct 10, 2015 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rectangular loop is still a loop.

12. Oct 10, 2015 #11
    Ohk but still i want to know that at a specific point i kept magnetic needle and the loop is very much long then what will happen ?

13. Oct 10, 2015 #12

Dale

The needle will point tangent to a circle around the wire.

14. Oct 10, 2015 #13
    Can i get the reason?

15. Oct 10, 2015 #14

Dale

16. Oct 10, 2015 #15
  17. Oct 10, 2015 #16

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, its a circular field :)

D

18. Oct 11, 2015 #17
    Guys I understood that in a straight conductor if we will select any point then the magnetic needle will be tangential to that field but i want to know that how two poles are formed when current is passed from n turns of circular coil... Plz explain a little bit in detail

19. Oct 11, 2015 #18

Dale

20. Oct 11, 2015 #19
  21. Oct 11, 2015 #20
    So how to relate these with poles?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook