Magnetic Field and Force (in a solenoid)

In summary, a 200-turn solenoid with a length of 20.0 cm and current of 3.25 A has a magnetic field of 4.08 x 10-3 T. A charged particle with a charge of 15.0 µC and velocity of 1050 m/s experiences a force of 1.28 x 10-5 N at an angle of 11.5° to the solenoid's axis. To find the magnetic field, you can use the formula B=(μo/2π)*I/r, and to calculate the force, you can use F=qvBsin(θ).
physgrl

Homework Statement

A 200-turn solenoid is 20.0 cm long and carries a current of 3.25 A. Find the magnetic field. Find the force exerted on a 15.0 µC charged particle moving at 1050 m/s through the interior of the solenoid, at an angle of 11.5° relative to the solenoid’s axis.

Homework Equations

r=mv/qB
torque=IABn (n=turns)
B=(μo/2π)*I/r
F=ILBsin(θ)
F=qvBsin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

n=200
l=.2m
I=3.25A

If I want to use torque=IABn to find B I need torque and I do not know how to find it with the length only. The second part I understand once I find the Magnetic Field, but I don't get how to find it with the info given.

the answer key says: B=4.08 x 10-3 T and F=1.28 x 10-5 N

Physics news on Phys.org
physgrl said:

Homework Statement

A 200-turn solenoid is 20.0 cm long and carries a current of 3.25 A. Find the magnetic field. Find the force exerted on a 15.0 µC charged particle moving at 1050 m/s through the interior of the solenoid, at an angle of 11.5° relative to the solenoid’s axis.

Homework Equations

r=mv/qB
torque=IABn (n=turns)
B=(μo/2π)*I/r
F=ILBsin(θ)
F=qvBsin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

n=200
l=.2m
I=3.25A

If I want to use torque=IABn to find B I need torque and I do not know how to find it with the length only. The second part I understand once I find the Magnetic Field, but I don't get how to find it with the info given.

the answer key says: B=4.08 x 10-3 T and F=1.28 x 10-5 N

Hi!

I think you need an extra formula.
The magnetic field inside a long solenoid is given by:
$$B=\mu_0 {n I \over \mathcal{l}}$$
as you can see on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

Thanks!

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a cylindrical shape. It is often made from a conducting material such as copper and is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

2. How does a solenoid produce a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field due to the movement of charged particles (electrons) in the wire. This magnetic field is strongest at the center of the solenoid and decreases in strength as you move away from the center.

3. What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the force in a solenoid?

The force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. In a solenoid, the magnetic field is strongest at the center, which means that particles moving through the center will experience the greatest force.

4. How can the strength of a magnetic field in a solenoid be increased?

The strength of a magnetic field in a solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current flowing through the wire, or by using a material with higher conductivity. Additionally, inserting a ferromagnetic material inside the solenoid can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What is the role of a solenoid in everyday devices?

Solenoids are used in a variety of everyday devices such as doorbells, speakers, and electric motors. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to produce strong magnetic fields. Solenoids are also important in industrial applications, such as in electromagnetic cranes, where they are used to lift and move heavy objects.