Magnetic Field: Are Lines an Illusion?

In summary, the magnetic field is a continuum, but lines can be created by magnetic filings on paper when placed over a magnet.
Quantum-lept
I have seen people write that there are no such things as "field lines", but that the magnetic field is a continuum. But
iron filings on a paper over a magnet will arrange on lines of the magnet's field...Is this an illusion, or are there "lines" that make up the field?...thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no lines.

If you see icicles hanging from a roof in winter, You could say these grow 'along lines of gravity'.

Same thing.

thanks, so it is an illusion, created by the properties of magnetized iron filings ...

AJ Bentley said:
If you see icicles hanging from a roof in winter, You could say these grow 'along lines of gravity'.
I really like this analogy!

I could be wrong on this, but isn't the term 'field lines' a mathematical construct to define the interaction and area between the two bodies? and this leads to confusion when it's miss-used to simplify the explanation.

if it was a constant fixed field than it would exhibit influence over anything that was in the field, right? but if it's the field arising from the interaction between magnetic bodies then the field would be proportional to the force of those bodies. If I'm wrong let me know.

Field lines do exist, but they are no more than a form of countour line.

You can draw equipotential, equidirectional, equigradient lines in a field or continuum. All that means is the property of interest does not vary when moving along the line.

What it does not mean is that there is some sort of 'string' pulling our test piece along such a line.

Think of the lines like contour lines on a topographical map. There is no correct number of lines to draw. In fact, there are an infinite number of lines one could draw. What is important is that they communicate the proper relationship between one place and another. Where the magnetic field is stronger there are "more" lines. This is analogues to contour lines, where the mountain is steeper there are more lines. How many you have depends on the scale you choose.

Related to Magnetic Field: Are Lines an Illusion?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnetic object or a moving electric charge. It is created by the movement of electrical charges and can exert a force on other magnetic objects or moving charges.

2. How are magnetic fields represented?

Magnetic fields are often represented using lines to show the direction and strength of the field. These lines are not physical objects, but rather a visual representation of the force of the magnetic field.

3. Why are magnetic field lines considered an illusion?

Magnetic field lines are considered an illusion because they are not actual physical objects. They are simply a way to visualize the direction and strength of the magnetic field, but they do not exist as tangible lines in space.

4. Are magnetic field lines always straight?

No, magnetic field lines can be curved or even circular, depending on the orientation and strength of the magnetic field. They can also intersect and overlap with each other.

5. How are magnetic field lines used in science?

Magnetic field lines are used in science to help understand and visualize the behavior of magnetic fields. They are also used in engineering and technology to design and build devices such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.