Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field around charging capacitor

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm doing a problem that involves two circular capacitor plates with radius R connected to wires running current I (as in a circuit), and need to find the magnetic field at three different regions between the two plates as a function of r, radial distance from the center of the two plates.

Using Ampere's Law, ∫B*dl = μ(I +εd[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt)

where μ and ε are the magnetic constant and electric constant.
    B is magnetic field, I is current, and [itex]\Psi[/itex] is flux of electric field (between the two cap. plates, I 'spose).

I figured the best loop to integrate over is a circle (parallel to and in between the two plates).

How will I go about it from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2
    If those plates are parallel, That exact problem is an example in my (old) edition of Halliday and Resnick PHYSICS FOR STUDENTS OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING

E is constant between the plates, neglecting fringe effects.

4. Dec 3, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I know the E is uniform, but how can you find B as a function of r ("r"adial distance away from center of plates)?

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4
    @chronokinetic: The current is charging the capacitor, therefore there is a change in the E field of the capacitor. How will that affect the displacement current?

6. Dec 3, 2011 #5
    what is the displacement current? I don't know what it is.
    As current I charges capacitor q, the e field should change, meaning the electric flux through a circle between the plates also increase. There is no current between the plates so I=0, but there is d[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt, so ampere's law is:

∫B*dl = [itex]\mu[/itex]*d[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt

Electric flux [itex]\Psi[/itex] = ∫E dA = E2[itex]\pi[/itex]r
    d[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt = ?

How do I get E as a function of time? The distance between the plates is small so E can be written with q, A, and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] according to the problem. I know I = dq/dt

E for point change is E=kQ/r2

Am I doing it right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook