Magnetic field at center of a 90° circular arc bend

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
frozen7
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
iv)The magnetic field, B at the center of a circular current loop of radius r carrying current I, is given by the expression . If one of the long straight wires is bent 90o in a circular arc of radius r (refer to Figure B1). What is the magnetic field at the center of the arc P?

Can anyone help me? Help needed.
 
Attachments
  • untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    862 bytes · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
What i know is for the arc section, the magnetic field should be (miu)I / 2r and for the straight wire is (miu)I / 2(pie)r. I don't know how to start this question. Should I just sum up both magnetic field?
 
Using the superposition principle, yes you may add them together. The [tex]\frac{\mu I}{2r}[/tex] seems to be the magnetic field generated by a whole circle. Thus the field generated by the arc in the picture is [tex]\frac{1}{4}\frac{\mu I}{2r}[/tex].

EDIT: Replied the same minute :smile:.