Magnetic Field formula Question

In summary, the magnetic field of the proton beam does not do any work on the protons while they are moving in a circle.
WrathofHan
I'm not sure why the answer to the following question would be zero, so far, I'm thinking because work is force times distance and in a circle, there is no distance after a complete orbit. But I have a strange doubt that it might be something else.

A magnetic field of .1T forces a proton beam of 1.5 mA to move in a circle of radius .1 m. The plane of the circle is perpendicular to the magnetic field. Of the following which is the best estimate of the work done by the magnetic field on the protons during one complete orbit of the circle?

What I have a real problem with is how to solve the second part:

Of the following, which is the best estimate of the speed of a proton in the beam as it moves in the circle?

Could someone at least give me a formula or something to start with?

Physics news on Phys.org
WrathofHan said:
I'm not sure why the answer to the following question would be zero, so far, I'm thinking because work is force times distance and in a circle, there is no distance after a complete orbit. But I have a strange doubt that it might be something else.

A magnetic field of .1T forces a proton beam of 1.5 mA to move in a circle of radius .1 m. The plane of the circle is perpendicular to the magnetic field. Of the following which is the best estimate of the work done by the magnetic field on the protons during one complete orbit of the circle?

What I have a real problem with is how to solve the second part:

Of the following, which is the best estimate of the speed of a proton in the beam as it moves in the circle?

Could someone at least give me a formula or something to start with?
What is the cause of the magnetic field of the proton beam? What is the magnitude of the force if the protons move in a circle?

What is the direction of the force relative to the direction of motion of hte protons if the protons are moving in a circle? Does such a force do any work? Use [itex]\vec{F} \cdot \vec{ds} = d\vec{W} [/itex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What is the cause of the magnetic field of the proton beam? What is the magnitude of the force if the protons move in a circle?

What is the direction of the force relative to the direction of motion of hte protons if the protons are moving in a circle? Does such a force do any work? Use [itex]\vec{F} \cdot \vec{ds} = d\vec{W} [/itex]

AM

The question doesn't have the cause of the magnetic field of the proton or the magnitude of the force... Unless those questions were supposed to help me grasp a concept in which I still can't see...

For the second part, I'm still clueless...

WrathofHan said:
The question doesn't have the cause of the magnetic field of the proton or the magnitude of the force... Unless those questions were supposed to help me grasp a concept in which I still can't see...

For the second part, I'm still clueless...
This is a Lorentz force problem. The moving proton charge is seen as having a magnetic field which interacts with the static magnetic field according to the Lorentz force equation:

[tex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times \vec{B}[/tex]

If it is moving in a circle, the centripetal force must equal the magnetic force on the proton. Work out the expression for v.

Does v depend on the current? What is the direction of the force compared to the direction of the proton (hint: think 'cross product')

AM

Andrew Mason said:
This is a Lorentz force problem. The moving proton charge is seen as having a magnetic field which interacts with the static magnetic field according to the Lorentz force equation:

[tex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times \vec{B}[/tex]

If it is moving in a circle, the centripetal force must equal the magnetic force on the proton. Work out the expression for v.

Does v depend on the current? What is the direction of the force compared to the direction of the proton (hint: think 'cross product')

AM

Ok, for the first part:
(-mv^2)/.1 = .1*.0015 * v
v = -( .00015 * .1 )/m
mass of proton is about 1.67*10^(-27)(I'll use 1.5*10^-27 because I can't use a calculator here)
v = 10 * 10 ^ 22

I think I did something wrong here...

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{r} = Bqv [/tex]
so ...
[tex] v = \frac{Bqr}{m} [/tex]
Now put the numbers in. If the answer is greater than c, then mass correction is probably your problem.

The F is a centripetal force, and the d is tangent to the circle. Because the F perpendicular to the d, Then W = Fd cos Θ is equal to zero.

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic field?

The formula for calculating magnetic field is B = μ0(I/2πr), where B represents the magnetic field strength, μ0 represents the permeability of free space, I represents the current, and r represents the distance from the current.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured in Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) units.

3. Can the magnetic field formula be used for any type of current?

Yes, the magnetic field formula can be used for any type of current, including direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC).

4. How does distance from the current affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance from the current. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field strength decreases.

5. What is the significance of permeability of free space in the magnetic field formula?

Permeability of free space represents the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field. It is a constant value that allows for the conversion of other units in the formula to the unit of Tesla (T).