1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field in polarisation ?

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    Why is only electric field considered when we discuss the phenomenon of polarisation ? What about the magnetic field ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i assume you are talking about light?

magnetic field as always perp to the electric, so will be polarised in the same manner but rotated 90deg

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    i think its because the direction of magnetic field is helical whereas the electric field is straight .

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ahhh... no the magnetic polarisation will be the same as the electric

ie linearly polarised light has both linearly polarised eletric & magnetic fields, both at 90deg to teh directino of propogation & to each other

similarly cicularly polarised light has both cicularly polarised eletric & magnetic fields, still both at 90deg to the direction of propogation & to each other

try finding the equation for a plane wave and check it out

6. Feb 27, 2009 #5
    I am not saying that the polarised light will not have magnetic field , it will have it but genreally in polarisation we don't talk abt the mag field & i think the reason i gave must be it .

7. Feb 28, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

for linearly polarised light the magnetic field will be lineraly polarised not helical, so that reason is not correct

have a look here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

if you want to get into the philosophical side of things then we probably usually talk about electric field as the relative strength is B = E/c. So in terms of interacting with things the electric part is probably more significant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook