Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnetic Field in polarisation ?

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    Why is only electric field considered when we discuss the phenomenon of polarisation ? What about the magnetic field ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i assume you are talking about light?

magnetic field as always perp to the electric, so will be polarised in the same manner but rotated 90deg

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    i think its because the direction of magnetic field is helical whereas the electric field is straight .

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ahhh... no the magnetic polarisation will be the same as the electric

ie linearly polarised light has both linearly polarised eletric & magnetic fields, both at 90deg to teh directino of propogation & to each other

similarly cicularly polarised light has both cicularly polarised eletric & magnetic fields, still both at 90deg to the direction of propogation & to each other

try finding the equation for a plane wave and check it out

6. Feb 27, 2009 #5
    I am not saying that the polarised light will not have magnetic field , it will have it but genreally in polarisation we don't talk abt the mag field & i think the reason i gave must be it .

7. Feb 28, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

for linearly polarised light the magnetic field will be lineraly polarised not helical, so that reason is not correct

have a look here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

if you want to get into the philosophical side of things then we probably usually talk about electric field as the relative strength is B = E/c. So in terms of interacting with things the electric part is probably more significant.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook