Magnetic Field of an AA Battery 'Immersed' in a Conductor

In summary, it would appear that if an AA battery were placed in some kind of ideal conducting 'ether', current would flow and the magnetic field would look a little like the magnetic field of the earth.
Fibonacci Vonacci
If an AA battery were placed in some kind of ideal conducting 'ether':

1) Would current flow, and if so, what would the flow of electrons look like?

2) How would the magnetic field look? (I imagine that if there was an electric current flowing, that the magnetic field would look a little like the magnetic field of the earth)

3) If placed near another magnetic field would the battery 'roll' towards the new source?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fibonacci Vonacci said:
some kind of ideal conducting 'ether':

what is that ??
without being able to define this mythical substance, none of the rest of your questions make any sense

davenn said:
what is that ??
without being able to define this mythical substance, none of the rest of your questions make any sense

I do not have enough knowledge to define such a substance, so perhaps I can ask it in a different way, starting with a first step.

As a thought experiment, is it theoretically conceivable that a substance could exist with the properties that it could surround a battery allowing current to flow through itself?

Water could be considered a "conducting ether" just not a very good one.

CWatters said:

Yes indeed, in water it is the impurities that conduct electricity. I'm hoping to grasp what an ideal conducting medium might act like in this model, so I suppose 'ideal' needs some clarification. To my beginner's mind this might mean that the electrons are free to move in any direction, so that resistance is uniform.

I appreciate that what I asked may be absurd, but when asking it I do not know enough to know why it is absurd.

Ok so I think this is like putting the battery in a thick walled tubular conductor with the paper wrapper on the battery forming a void. So perhaps see some of the digrams here...

https://www.nde-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/MagParticle/Physics/CircularFields.htm

Likes Fibonacci Vonacci
CWatters said:

Add some salt.

fig1.jpg

Attachments

• fig1.jpg
    fig1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 530
Likes Fibonacci Vonacci
Fibonacci Vonacci said:

Let the battery be in the middle of a large saltwater pool. The flow will be symmetric about the axis of the battery? The flow will be most intense near the battery? Far from the battery the flow is small but not zero?

What is the differential form of Ohm's law for 3 dimensional conductors like our case above?

Thanks!

Likes Fibonacci Vonacci
Fibonacci Vonacci said:
If an AA battery were placed in some kind of ideal conducting 'ether':

2) How would the magnetic field look? (I imagine that if there was an electric current flowing, that the magnetic field would look a little like the magnetic field of the earth)

3) If placed near another magnetic field would the battery 'roll' towards the new source?
Looks like a coaxial cable, so nothing on the outside.

tech99 said:
nothing on the outside

There will be current flow at large distances from the battery unlike a coax cable. Using this fact and the Biot-Savart Law you can show there must be a magnetic field.

Likes Fibonacci Vonacci
If the whole arrangement is perfectly symmetric the magnetic field would also have to be symmetric around the battery. But according to maxwell's equations - more specifically Ampère's circuital law - that field needs to be zero here since the total electric current enclosed by the magnetic loop is zero.

DrZoidberg said:
the total electric current enclosed by the magnetic loop is zero.

Only if the loop is very large will the total current through the area of the loop be zero.

Last edited:
Likes DrZoidberg
upload_2017-11-26_6-20-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-26_6-20-54.png
    upload_2017-11-26_6-20-54.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 452
Likes DrZoidberg
DrZoidberg said:
If the whole arrangement is perfectly symmetric the magnetic field would also have to be symmetric around the battery. But according to maxwell's equations - more specifically Ampère's circuital law - that field needs to be zero here since the total electric current enclosed by the magnetic loop is zero.

DrZoidberg, could you expand on this a little bit please? I'm struggling to understanding why the field needs to be zero.

Look at Spinnor's drawing. The field strength approaches zero if the loop is very large. Otherwise it's non zero.

1. What is a magnetic field and how is it related to an AA battery?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are present. An AA battery contains a conductor, usually in the form of a wire coil, which creates a magnetic field when an electrical current passes through it.

2. Can an AA battery's magnetic field be affected by being immersed in a conductor?

Yes, when an AA battery is placed inside a conductor such as a metal tube or a loop of wire, the magnetic field will be affected due to the presence of the conductor.

3. How does the magnetic field of an AA battery change when it is immersed in a conductor?

The magnetic field of an AA battery will become stronger when it is immersed in a conductor. This is because the presence of the conductor allows the magnetic field to be concentrated and amplified.

4. Is the size of an AA battery's magnetic field affected by the type of conductor it is immersed in?

Yes, the type of conductor can affect the size of an AA battery's magnetic field. A conductor with high electrical conductivity, such as copper, will allow for a stronger and more concentrated magnetic field compared to a less conductive material like aluminum.

5. Are there any practical applications for the magnetic field of an AA battery immersed in a conductor?

Yes, there are several practical applications for this phenomenon. One example is in the construction of electric motors, where the magnetic field created by an AA battery immersed in a conductor is used to generate motion. Another example is in metal detection, where the change in the magnetic field can be used to detect the presence of metal objects.