Magnetic field of current ribbon

This problem may be more challenging because it is expressed in complex exponentials, but using these methods should lead to a solution.In summary, the best way to calculate the magnetic field generated by an infinite current ribbon with a current given in complex exponential form is to use Biot-Savart's law and integrate over the entire length of the ribbon. The x-component of the magnetic field can be found using the Fourier integral representation of the current, and the y-component can be found using a similar method. Despite the complexity of the problem, using these methods should lead to a solution.
levicivita

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm wondering what is the best way to go about calculating the magnetic field generated by an infinite current ribbon of width 2units, with current j = exp(wti), w = omega, t = time. The wavelength associated with the oscillation is 1unit.

The Attempt at a Solution

My current method would be to calculate the magnetic field due to an infinite wire with the same current, and integrate to get that for the entire ribbon. However, I am given the x-component of the magnetic field, which is in the form of a Fourier integral - so I'm wondering if there is an easier alternative method (as this seems to suggest), and if I can derive the y-component in a similar fashion.

I think part of the reason why I am struggling with this is because the problem is expressed in complex exponentials, so if anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to calculate the magnetic field generated by an infinite current ribbon of width 2 units with a current of j = exp(wti), w = omega, t = time is to use Biot-Savart's law and integrate over the entire length of the ribbon. This will give you the total magnetic field generated by the ribbon. The x-component of the magnetic field can then be found using the Fourier integral representation of the current. The y-component of the magnetic field can be found by using a similar method.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges or by the intrinsic magnetic dipole moment of an elementary particle, such as an electron.

2. What is the magnetic field of a current ribbon?

The magnetic field of a current ribbon is the magnetic field that is produced by a current passing through a thin, flat strip of conductor. It is a vector field that is perpendicular to the plane of the ribbon and its strength is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the ribbon.

3. How is the magnetic field of a current ribbon calculated?

The magnetic field of a current ribbon can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current, the length of the conductor, and the angle between the conductor and the point in space. This law can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space surrounding the current ribbon.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field of the ribbon?

The direction of the current flowing through the ribbon determines the direction of the magnetic field. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field of a current ribbon?

The magnetic field of a current ribbon has various practical applications, such as in electronic devices where it is used to create magnetic fields for data storage and communication. It is also used in motors and generators to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. Additionally, it is used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.