1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of current ribbon

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm wondering what is the best way to go about calculating the magnetic field generated by an infinite current ribbon of width 2units, with current j = exp(wti), w = omega, t = time. The wavelength associated with the oscillation is 1unit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My current method would be to calculate the magnetic field due to an infinite wire with the same current, and integrate to get that for the entire ribbon. However, I am given the x-component of the magnetic field, which is in the form of a fourier integral - so I'm wondering if there is an easier alternative method (as this seems to suggest), and if I can derive the y-component in a similar fashion.

I think part of the reason why I am struggling with this is because the problem is expressed in complex exponentials, so if anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted