Magnetic field produced by a rotating loop?

In summary: Ultimately, the behavior of the loop and its magnetic field would depend on the specific parameters and conditions of the situation.
Heimisson
I've been thinking about this for some time.

If I have a loop (no outside magnetic field) and it is producing a magnetic field due to current going circulating through it what happens of I start rotating the loop extremely fast.
Would it induce current upon itself because of changes in the direction of it's own magnetic moment?
What would the magnetic field lines behave like, perhaps like series of spheres inside the coil?
Could something be contained within the loop like plasma?

I hope these aren't stupid questions, I just started my electromagnetics course so perhaps after a few months I will know the answers to these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your questions depends on the situation you are describing. If you have a loop with current circulating through it and you rotate the loop extremely fast, then the magnetic field induced by the loop will also change direction as the loop rotates. This changing magnetic field will induce a current in the loop as described by Faraday's law of induction. The magnetic field lines in this case would behave like concentric circles around the loop. It is also possible for something to be contained within the loop, such as a plasma, but this would require that the loop be designed in a particular way.

1. What is a magnetic field produced by a rotating loop?

A magnetic field produced by a rotating loop, also known as a magnetic dipole, is a circular magnetic field created by a current-carrying loop that is rotating about its axis. It is similar to the magnetic field produced by a bar magnet, but its strength and direction can be controlled by changing the parameters of the rotating loop.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by a rotating loop is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow in the loop, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by a rotating loop?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a rotating loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the number of turns in the loop, and the radius of the loop. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How can the magnetic field produced by a rotating loop be used?

The magnetic field produced by a rotating loop has various applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. It can also be used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic field produced by a rotating loop be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field produced by a rotating loop can be reversed by changing the direction of the current flow in the loop. This can be done by either changing the direction of rotation of the loop or by reversing the polarity of the power source supplying the current to the loop.